Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - F&W's Most Popular Dishes this year

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

F&W's Most Popular Dishes this year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: F&W's Most Popular Dishes this year Reply with quote

Most popular food at this year's Epcot International Food & Wine Fest? A three-way tie

The traditional favorite food served at the country kiosks during the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival has been the cheddar cheese soup ladled out by the Canadians. Last year, according to Epcot's executive chef Jens Dahlmann, 36,000 cups of the soup were sold.

This year Canada sold 4,000 more cups o' cheddar. But two other food stands matched the 40,000 sales mark, including the lobster and scallops fisherman's pie from Scotland, an early favorite. Poland's pirogies were the other big seller.

Source: Scott Joseph Blog; http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/78-scotts-news/682-most-popular-food-at-this-years-epcot-international-food-a-wine-fest-a-three-way-tie

Wanna know how much money Disney made from just these three dishes alone?

Cheddar Cheese Soup @ $4.75 per * 40,000 Units: $190,000
Fisherman's Pie @ $5.50 per * 40,000 units: $220,000
Pirogies @ $5.00 per * 40,000 units: $200,000

That is $590,000... over half a million dollars on just THREE of the 70+ dishes. Along with the increase in attendance, the high dollar parties and seminars, merchandise, etc.... Disney definitely makes a ton during the F&W!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The math here is a bit questionable...
------------------------------------------------
Wanna know how much money Disney made from just these three dishes alone?

Cheddar Cheese Soup @ $4.75 per * 40,000 Units: $190,000
Fisherman's Pie @ $5.50 per * 40,000 units: $220,000
Pirogies @ $5.00 per * 40,000 units: $200,000
------------------------------------------------

You want to say that is how much they sold for, or brought in, fine, but to say what they "made" you have to subtract the cost of material, labor, storage etc.

I am sure they still made a good sum of money, but that formula ignore a lot of what goes into the food biz.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... Smile

I was just going by how much they made from the sales alone (gross), my calculations did not include Disney's cost (which is not known)... Although I am pretty sure they still made a tidy sum, after costs (net).
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40,000 of anything is a good amount of sales. I continually read about the Cheddar soup from Canada, but have not been able to try it.

Any UAB'r have an opinion about it?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
40,000 of anything is a good amount of sales. I continually read about the Cheddar soup from Canada, but have not been able to try it.

Any UAB'r have an opinion about it?

I loved it from a few years ago, but they changed the recipe a few years ago and I don't think it's as good as it used to be.

Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Cheddar Cheese soup was good but not quite the same as years past. I think it was a change in the cheese itself. My favorites this year were the Seared Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil and the Lamb Slider from New Zealand. I would suggest they rethink the locations of some of the stations next year. New Zealand was right next to the Off Kilter stage and Canada was right in front of Canada of course. It just made for huge traffic jams turning the corner past Canada to the United Kingdom. I haven't been that scared since I was stuck in front of the Hall of Presidents right before the fireworks started on July 4, 1983. Wall to wall sardines!
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the soup at the kiosk since a) you can order it to go from Le Cellier at the hostess station and b) Matt makes a stellar copy here at home Smile

I did try the Fisherman's Pie and it was fantastic. I've had the pierogies in the past, and they are very good, but I make them from scratch so I'm biased to my verbal-tradition family recipe! Smile

We both were big fans of the Taste of Spain, and I really enjoyed the Falafel at Morocco. Good value for the portion. Had both of those twice!

The recipe for the Fisherman's Pie can be found here:
http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/cooking-and-chef-recipes/91-chef-recipes/626-lobster-and-scallop-fishermans-pie-from-epcot-international-food-and-wine-festival

I'll have to make it soon to see how it compares!
mdegrand
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beef from the South Africa kiosk was awesome as well. Good cuts of meat with a great mango barbecue sauce! I'll have to master that one at home to tide us over until next fall.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdegrand wrote:
The beef from the South Africa kiosk was awesome as well. Good cuts of meat with a great mango barbecue sauce! I'll have to master that one at home to tide us over until next fall.

Don't forget the lamb chop with the sea salt from Australia! Great treat to enjoy right before Illuminations!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: