Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Rasulo and Staggs to switch jobs in 2010 ÂşoÂş

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Rasulo and Staggs to switch jobs in 2010 ÂşoÂş

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Rasulo and Staggs to switch jobs in 2010 ÂşoÂş Reply with quote

I think this is very positive news, especially for the parks...

Two of Disney’s top executives are switching jobs – a shift that Robert A. Iger, the company’s chief executive, said in an interview had been in the works since last summer.

In an unusual crosspollination effort, at least for Disney, James A. Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, will become chief financial officer at the end of the year. Thomas O. Staggs, who has served as the financial chief, will take the top job at the $12 billion theme park division.

“I sat with each of them separately and told them my idea – it raised their eyebrows initially because it took them out of their comfort zone,” Mr. Iger said. “But they quickly became excited and realized the opportunity.” He added, “I’m looking to do more of this in the years ahead.”

Why switch those particular roles? “I looked at my entire management team and saw two executives with considerable talent and experience who had been in their respective jobs for quite a long time. I think it’s a smart way to motivate them and better prepare them for the future.”

Mr. Staggs, a 19-year veteran of the company, has served as chief financial officer since 1998; Mr. Rasulo, a 23-year Disney veteran, has held the top parks job since 2002 and previously spent years improving Disneyland Paris. (Mr. Rasulo has more than ample financial chops: he has a master’s degree in economics and an M.B.A. from the University of Chicago.)

Mr. Iger said he delayed putting the changes into effect because he didn’t want to rock the boat as the economy faltered.

The move immediately spurred chatter about succession planning, particularly surrounding Mr. Staggs. He is considered a promising candidate to eventually take over as chief executive, but – unlike other internal candidates – lacks operational experience. Success running the theme parks, one of Disney’s most complex units with 100,000 employees and plans for a new resort in Shanghai, would neatly plug that résumé hole.

But all of that talk is premature: Mr. Iger, 58, has no plans to go anywhere. Moreover, he has no plans to do so much as name a chief operating officer. (Filling that job would be Disney’s equivalent of naming an heir apparent.)

Instead, the swap is more about changing Disney’s traditional silo approach to management. Mr. Iger wants to deepen the experience of his bench, much like General Electric has famously done, by giving executives on-the-ground training in other parts of the far-flung Disney empire.

The appointment last month of Rich Ross as chairman of Walt Disney Studios – Mr. Ross’s experience is entirely in television, most recently at Disney Channel – was the first major indication of Mr. Iger’s new strategy. But he has been quietly pursuing the strategy for some time, dispatching an executive in charge of operations in Latin America, for instance, to run Europe.

Disney had planned to make the announcement in conjunction with its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings, set for release Thursday after the market close, but scrapped that plan after Deadline.com broke the news.

In a statement, Mr. Staggs called the opportunity “tremendously exciting and a challenge I’m really looking forward to.” Mr. Rasulo said he looked forward to “working with Bob to advance Disney’s growth strategy, while continue to strengthen our balance sheet.”
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it can improve the show at the parks - great.
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please God, tell me this will help the parks.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a good thing for all invovled.

With their hands on knowledge of the other side of the house and some new
fresh ideas they just might but some spark back in to the parks.

We can only wait and hope. Smile
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Imagineering had a negative view on the switch: http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked for article and do not see it. There is a spotwhere an article was removed... maybe that was it
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that's funny, it's gone now due to reader objections. It was a post about the two witches from The Wizard of Oz and mentioned that you've done away with the one sort of bad witch, but you're left with the other one who's even worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: