Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Major Disney Announcement Soon!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Major Disney Announcement Soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Major Disney Announcement Soon! Reply with quote

If you've read the numerous Disney news/rumors sites, you know that Disney has released that they are going to make a major announcement on 9/18:

Disney has sent a mystery invitation out to the media regarding a major new theme park related announcement they will be making on September 18th at noon, somewhere in New York City. As stated in the invitation, “You’re invited to join Disney Parks for a special announcement -- so big we’re bringing the news to New York.” The announcement gets a little strange here as it promotes “New, breakthrough insights about how American families travel will be shared by Peter Yesawich, Chairman & CEO, YPartnership, one of America’s leading travel trend-watchers. Following that, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo will unveil exciting plans for 2009--including a first in the history of the Walt Disney Company.”
My gut instinct is to say that this event could include that long rumored post-Olympic announcement about the new Disney park project for China, in addition to whatever big celebration Disney has planned to roll out to both coasts for 2009. This could be that “Celebrate Today” rumor, though we’ve heard that the focus may be on Disney pushing the big family trip, reunion or large gathering concept once again as part of this.
I also have to wonder if Disney might be ready to make some kind of announcement about that Premium Park concept in development for Walt Disney World, previously being called Disney’s Night Kingdom but has since been changed to Disney’s Jungle Trek. Anyone know more about what kind of rabbit Disney is going to pull out of the hat? Last time it was Oswald…

Source: Screamscape; http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#Disney

Since the announcement has been made, there have been a large number of theories on what could be announced. Screamscape has a breakdown of some of the more popular theories:

That mystery announcement from Disney next week sure has got people talking over the last 24 hours. Some of this has generated some very interesting new rumors as well, though the basic gist behind most of them is still ‘family travel’. Some circles are claiming that Disney may be ready to take a giant leap and start up their own airline service. I had to cringe when I heard that news, as generally people are just so irrated at the airline industry for all the service cutbacks, the late flights, soaring ticket prices to offset higher fuel charges, and even paying new fees for luggage these days… the airline biz is clearly not a user friendly industry that I think Disney should be going anywhere near. The Cruise Line made sense… people pay extra for nice hotels and cruises over cheaper brands, so Disney will fit right into these markets, but families who travel by air typically look for the lowest price they can get, so if this is it, I’ll be dumbfounded.
Others tell us that they believe this will be some kind of major expansion and promotion for the growing Adventures By Disney group… which seems to fit as well, until you remember that the invitation said that this is an announcement from “Disney Parks” and Adventures By Disney is all about guided family tours to places that don’t have Disney Parks.
Our last tidbit is far more interesting however, and is the most likely concept due to it’s heavy detail. It seems a new mailer has been showing up looking for help from former Disney “College Program” members in select cities claiming that “Disney Parks” is going on tour around the country to “bring the magic of Disney” to 30 different cities over the Fall and Winter months. It goes on to describe how they want to roll out an army of colorful vehicles “from Town Square to Times Square” that will give away tons of free prizes, balloons and entire people to enter some big contest promotion to win a trip to one of the Disney Theme Parks. If true, this is clearly some kind of build up to next year’s big promotion to replace the Year of a Million Dreams. As for the army of themed cars traveling the roads of the country, it sounds like they’re borrowing a page from SeaWorld’s old Shamu Across America promotion from a few years back where Busch Entertainment rolled out about 30 custom painted themed VW Bettles that look like killer whales and sent them off to drive all around the country.
To cap off, we’ve been sent what looks like the rough unofficial list of 30 cities and dates that the tour may use. From the look of things, it looks like there will be three tour legs, one for the East Coast, one for the West Coast and one for the central states so I’ve divided things up by region.
West Coast Tour: Jan 19-Vancouver, Jan 21-Seattle, Jan 23-Portland, Jan 27-Sacramento, Feb 2-San Francisco, Feb 4-Frenso, Feb 9-Las Vegas, Feb 11-Salt Lake City, Feb 16-Denver, Feb 20-Phoenix
Central Tour Group: Sept 25-Minneapolis, Sept 29-Chicago, Oct 1-Milwaukee, Oct 3-Detroit, Oct 10-Pittburgh, Oct 8-Cincinnati, Oct 10-Indianapolis, Oct 14-Dallas, Oct 16-Houston, Oct 20-New Orleans
East Coast Tour: Sept 24-Toronto, Sept 29-Boston, Oct 1-Providence, Oct 3-New York, Oct 6-Hartford, Oct 8-Philadel

Source: Screamscape; http://www.screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#Disney

I doubt it is going to have much to do with the parks specifically (like announcing new rides, referbs, etc....), I do agree that it will probably be about the new marketing campaign. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they also announce that second park in China....

What do you guys think?
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously China needs more than HKDL. They need to pick a location with more space. My cousin visited HKDL a few months ago, and said it was considerably too small.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is my understanding that they purposely built the park small. They did it that way to start it off and then add on over the years.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one mentioned the possibility of Disney Cruise's releasing the names and itinerary for those long pending ships. They were suppose to premiere around 2009, and I would assume need to release info before the premiere to allow folks to start booking. Seems to me that would fit into the announcement of the size they are talking about here.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it be that they are buying sea world and busch gardens that would be a disney first buying up other parks would be a new venture?

how about it?

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: