Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - All New Game - Disney Answer and Question

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

All New Game - Disney Answer and Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> The Terminal Arcade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a few ideas with this - in no particular order:

A Ratatouille-themed restaurant, but not the classy place, but rather one that looked like the nook where Remmy entertained his family. There could be little windows that looked down into the restaurant below, and the place would be filled with Parisian music.

Music plays a big role when I think of this, so a place modeled after Tiana's restaurant has always been appealing (complete with animatronic jazz playing alligator).

I've always been a fan of Treasure Planet (highly underappreciated movie and a killer soundtrack) - the Benbow Inn complete with animatronic fellow diners.

After eating in the Be Our Guest restaurant, I'm totally confident that Disney could pull of a Haunted Mansion or Nightmare Before Christmas themed restaurant. Who wouldn't want lunch served by Ezra.

This is really a topic where we could probably go on for ages (fantastic question, by the way). I should end on the most obvious note: Mos Eisley Cantina anyone?

My question (and I apologize if this has been posted before as I think it would be an obvious topic of discussion): The world of Avatar still seems like a strange 'bedfellow" for Disney and moreso for Animal Kingdom. I'm not put off that it's not Disney, as the Disney Parks have done that before, but it just seems like an odd pairing. What would you recommend in its place? Or if you support it, why do you think it'll be amazing?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept of a Ratatouille themed resort, particularly if it is combined with another restaurant.

Say Tiana's restaurant downstairs with a little window that looked in to a miniature version of the Ratatouille restaurant, and the upstairs restaurant with a small window looking at a massive image of the down stairs restaurant so that the two feed off of one another.

As to Pandora, I have a few threads on here about this. I think Pandora or Avatar is a horrid selection for this expansion.

I would have recommended:
- something based on greek/roman/other mythology to tie into the current "fantasy" animal theme of AK, and it would have allowed ties to Hercules,Fantasia, mermaids, etc, It would have been timeless and would not require people remembering a movie that many people did not see or have little interest in

- or conversely, "Zootopia" would be a wonderful theme for this section. The movie opens an array of attraction ideas, and it also had "sections" which would have allowed them to bring in different animals for those "sections", which did not fit in the existing Africa/Asia/ Dino sections, expanding on the animal collection and keeping the current conservation message alive.
They would have the Arctic section, the forest section, the desert section... basically whatever sections they wanted, Restaurant and attraction ideas abound. That race through the jungle trees being chased by the leopard would be a great ride, a snow toboggan ride, the monorail into the Zootopia city center, could have used a fake monrail withCGI windows to make it look like you are truly traveling to/from Zootopia.

- Atlantis - again a movie tie in, many many fantasy sea creatures, could even bring in Nemo, Monstro, Ariel, Ursula, or any other water based character. Again, going with a well known time tested theme that would not depend on folks remembering the Avatar movie. (and there is space to merge this with the first mythology based idea.

I think all of those would have been, and still would, be great directions to take this. I would go as far as suggesting they stop throwing good money after bad, put this on hold, and re-theme it to one of the above. I don't think Avatar has the legs needed for this.

What should Disney do with the Speedway? It takes up huge space, has long lines, if environmentally un-friendly, and is so generic it really is not themed for the MK.
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many things to say here:

First up, I think your Zootopia idea is brilliant, and you have my vote for joining Imagineering if I ever have any sway (c'mon lotto numbers!)

I also love the Atlantis idea because it could also inject the park with some aquariums for those fans who prefer their animals in water habitats.

Second, I totally agree with your thoughts on Speedway. I've also had similar rants against Autopia at Disneyland (for which I get shouted down since it's an 'original' attraction).

Specific to MK, though, would this not be a great location to resurrect Horizon? This goes back to the question recently about nostalgia versus new. I have never experienced Horizon, though I love the music and themes, and I've met enough people who have experienced it with such reverence, that I imagine the support from fans would be immense.

To focus on something new, though, I think a multitude of paths can be taken:
1. Let's actually build a 'futuristic car attraction' that actually feels futuristic. I think there could be enough concept automobiles out there that Disney could go hog wild.
2. I'm just gonna say this: The Tron Cycles in Shanghai look awesome. While I think it would overstuff Tomorrowland with E tickets ... ooooh, it would be nice to have one closer to home.
3. For something not quite E-ticket: Recreate a space base utilizing some of the technology NASA is currently developing for such an endeavor. I've been to the Huntsville center (as a tourist) and seen some of the things they're building. This could potentially generate the kind of public support that Walt was known for when he began.
4. Hey, if they're going to go nostalgic and squeeze in Horizons, would there be some room for Adventures Through Inner Space ... I'm just sayin ...

That's all I can come up with for now. I'm sure I'll have a few other ideas at 3 am Very Happy

A lot of hubbub has been made with Disney acquiring Star Wars, and everyone's falling all over themselves as to how this new member of the family can be used to enhance the park. Interestingly, it seems, very little is said about how the Marvel/Avengers can be incorporated. Rumors abound on a Tower of Terror make-over. Does Avengers strike a chord that shouldn't be incorporated into the parks? Or is there a room for super heros too? If so, where and how?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there would be space for both Inner Space and Horizons, and Horizons was great.

As to Star Wars, great, but I'd have liked to have seen equal attention given to Indiana Jones.

For Marvel - I think you need to look at each coast separately. There is no room for a 3rd gate by DL, so adding a Marvel section, which i have seen rumors of, with TOT as the first attraction in that area I think would be a great idea. Ideally, I'd prefer seeing it in California Adventure or a third gate, but not enough room.

For Florida, Disney has the space to do a Marvel area, But I would think it would fit best as a Disney Studios section than in the other existing parks and I do not see it as a 5th gate. Unfortunately, the contract with Universal has their hands pretty well tied up that I don't think we will ever see it.

Now Japan would be a great place for a Marvel 3RD GATE.

Do you think a 5th gate "Disney Seas" Japan import would be a success in Florida, Why or Why Not?
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Disney Seas-type fifth gate could work, but it would have to have a much different ride offering. I would hope it would be a mix of new attractions - something that highlights Southern Asia - and international attractions that have been successful. I'm thinking specifically of the Ratatouille ride in Paris and Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. There is also a possibility of a hybrid - Southern Asia Soarin'?

The downside to a fifth gate, of course, is how it affects vacation planning. As it is, if you focus on just the four parks, that's pretty much your week. And the other downside is, by bringing all the cool stuff from the international parks, it lessens the draw for people to travel to those international parks if they can get the goodies in North America.

While most attractions that get installed hit a good chord, the same cannot be said of some of the live action shows. Is it time for Disney to dial back on the number of active theaters? If you could bring two-to-three new live shows to the parks to reinvigorate live attractions, which Disney fare would you tap to inspire such entertainment?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is almost no way I'll ever afford going to Asia - it would be nice to see some of the Disney Seas magic.

I think the live shows are good, but they play them too long. Beauty and the Beast has been there for so long at this point it really is a "tale as old as time".

I think they could do a good stage show with:
1) Tangled
2) Frozen (as sick as I am of Frozen, it could still be a good play - and I'm talking different than the current sing along)
3) Princess and the Frog
4) Brave

It might even be nice to do a classic instead, like Pinocchio or Sleeping Beauty.

Do you think there is a way for Disney to profit from bring back some form of "Shows from the Disney Vault"? And if so how?
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guarantee you if they created a Tangled show, my daughter would see it twice in the same day! And I would love a Princess and the Frog show for the soundtrack alone.

Classic shows from the vault - the very phrase conjures images of The Disney Vault that used to run in the last 90s on the Disney Channel and was a blessing to my insomnia.

First up, you're talking to someone who bought nearly every Walt Disney Treasures tin when they were released, so I will emphatically endorse any work the Disney corporation wants to do to restore and re-release classics.

Of course, I also know I was only one of a few who purchased the tins, and I'm guessing by the trickle of classics that have been released with any fanfare, the profitability of it all is pretty meager.

That said, I would suggest this:
-Definitely restore and re-release (soundtracks too, if you please).
-Hype it up to the older generation - they're going to be the ones to buy them anyway.
-Incorporate them back into the park, even if it's only on a small scale. Look, I get it, they're not going to want to run a Lovebug parade down Main Street, but park a Lovebug as an exhibit. Remind the public of all the celebrities who got their start as a Disney player.
-If I can go into complete wish mode: A Vault Disney Channel ... hmmm, yes, please.

Would this all be profitable? Eh, they're not going to see Frozen money ... heck, they may not even see John Carter money (I know, I know, I'm just kidding), but they'd get the nostalgia dollar, which isn't bad considering all they'd really be paying for is some really nice marketing and distribution.

In the 90s, an independent book was released called "Snowbird" (I believe the title was later changed to "Waking Walt") which played on the notion that Walt was revived after being frozen for many decades. The book, which played between dramatic and hysterical, depicted a befuddled Walt sneaking into Epcot and his reaction to what they had done with his vision.

Despite the book's depiction, what do you think Walt would say or think if he were to wander through the Florida property today?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be both pleased and disappointed.
It has turned into a great location, for parents and kids, That I think would please him.

I think he would like EPCOT (particularly as it was in the 80's), and I think he would be thrilled with the other two parks, particularly AK.

However I think he would be disappointed by a few items:
They gave up on his original community idea. Totally glossed over not knowing how to do it.
I don't think he would be thrilled with the Marvel purchase and incorporation. I suspect Indiana Jones and Lucas Arts would be more palatable, but he would wonder why they were trailing there instead of leading
I think the Chester and Hester would cause him to flip his lid as he clearly said he did not want games of chance in his parks,
I think he would be pushing for more e-tickets, but e-tickets that involve the entire family, not just the teens and younger parents.
Mostly, I think he would be disappointed by the nickel and diming that is done to make sure you leave every last cent with them. He always felt make it affordable and folks would continue to come, Not suck them dry and keep them away until they can refill their wallets.

What countries would you like to see added to EPCOT to fill the nine empty World Showcase slots?

[/list]
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved your answer, by the way! I remember the first time I ever saw Fantasmic at Disneyland. Much later, ruminating on the show with my wife (we were just dating at the time) that it was something that I felt Walt would have loved from beginning to end.

It's a very different show from the one in Florida - I don't mind the one in Florida, but I think it's not as strong.

To your question:
Having been to India, I think it's a region ripe for Epcot. You have the Taj Mahal, the Everest Mountains in the distance, and beautiful bustling marketplaces. And the food would be fantastic!

Russia is another locale that could make for an intriguing addition. I've never been there, but friends of ours went once and they were amazed by it's rustic nature (which is not something you generally see promoted).

I think a Brazilian pavilion would also be incredible - again, the restaurant would be amazing, and let's just go there: The parade would rock! it could also inject some needed tropical flare to the World Showcase.

One more country that keeps popping into my head: Greece. No reason or justification, just felt like mentioning it.

If you could make over one "Pavilion" in the Future World section of Epcot, what would it be and how would you change it?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good countries, and ones that would attract a lot of guests, India, and Brazil especially. There was a thread somewhere on the site that talked of a Greece pavilion, but it was located as islands set in the lagoon as opposed to one of the country pads.
That and Australia were discussed in detail.

What pavilion would I make over in Future World..
There are a lot I'd like to tackle there.

Energy - great ride, but time for Ellen and Bill Nye to step aside and while the Emile Radok show was good, there has to be something new focusing on renewables, as well as on reducing foreign dependencies.

Test Track is a great ride, but again it keeps getting dumbed down. World of Motion was leaps and bounds a better attraction.

Space - never as good as Horizons and many guests can not ride for various health reasons, Horizons knocks this out of the park.

Life - is it fair to say there is a life a pavilion? I don't think so.

Imagination is a travesty of what it use to be, and the potential here is incredible if they are willing to take a risk.

Spaceship Earth and the Land) the few attractions that have been kept to their original glory.

Innoventions is still just filling in space where Communicore East and West use to delight the mind. A vast wasteland to wander through and say "remember when".

But ultimately I'd have to go with: "The Living Seas". This once educational show had a great pre-show, the Hydrolators and ride under the tanks was great, and the tanks were always swarming with life. Now, the pre-show is gone, you take a run of the mill clam shell past TV screens superimposed on tank walls, the tanks are no where near capacity, and the whole building feels like "we don't know what to do here, so we are just filling space up".

I would not go back to the original show, but bringing back the concept of an underwater city, a floating city, aquaculture, sea-farming, water based fuel and energy.
Bring back how the seas are less known than outer space, Bring back the sense of Potential. If they don't want to bore with science than instead wow with opportunity.

And I'll hold off on the discussion of what exhibits they should add to future World.

Ok - You can not replace the country with another, but what World Showcase country would you "rebuild" and how? And why would the replacement better reflect the country represented?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
kraysister
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this one counts, but going for it anyway: Africa Outpost.

Don't know what the aim was with this one. An entire continent represented by some drums and a beverage/snack cart?! Just seems as if they plunked something down to try to cover an otherwise dead spot in world showcase - no thought, no effort.

The rebuild would be to make it an actual pavilion - I think there's enough space to have a decent size one and have (at the very least) an air conditioned walk through exhibit highlighting the diversity of Africa, have artisans from the different countries come in on a rotating basis, quick service with local foods, etc.

why do you think Disney closes attractions but then not do anything for years with the buildings in which they were housed? What if anything would you do differently if you were in charge?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Africa Outpost was put in as a place holder for an Africa Pavilion that got shelved. The pad was left unoccupied for when they pick it up again. again never happened.

I think there are several reason.
- They do not want to spend the money it takes to keep the attraction or building in use.
- They get so much grief any time they try and change anything it is easier to close it with out talking about a replacement, letting it sit as dead, and then coming back later and Re-using the unused space for something new. It allows them to avoid all the complaints they got with things like Maelstrom and now Tower or Terror
- They do not have or they lost along the way, the funding for the new attraction. so they can close it with out much effort, but van not build until the next budget year it is approved and funded.

Are those right, I don't know, but it would seem reasonable.

Would you rather see a Europe, Australia, North American or south american land added to AK to supplement Africa and Asia - and what would you put in this land?
kraysister
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia and South America both would be fantastic additional lands at AK. Kangaroos, wombats and koalas (AUS) or alpaca, rheas and Jaguars (S. America). And holy moly, the spiders in both those places.....

I think South America gets my vote by a smidge. Investigating on line, there seems to be a bit more variety of animals that would fit into the existing safari ride better. Not that that would be Disney's only consideration of course, I have no idea if the climate in FL would be habitable for species from either continent. But imagine if the Galápagos Islands could be represented.....

Looking at the lunch food options at the parks, Disney has been making some progress (e.g. healthier choices more available,) but it seems if you don't want the standard burger and chicken nuggets, your other options are fairly pricey.

Do you think a middle ground could be reached and if so, how?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> The Terminal Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: