Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - New Fantasyland Changes...

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

New Fantasyland Changes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: New Fantasyland Changes... Reply with quote

Earlier today Disney announced some changes to the "New Fantasyland" plans released last year. Disney is holding a press event tonight, were more details and artwork will be unveiled. This event is also the start of the new annual celebration that starts tomorrow and the first cruise of the new cruise ship....

Here are the quick basics:
* Beauty and the Beast and Ariel Attraction are unchanged
*Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty meet and greets have been removed from the plans
*New indoor roller coaster, themed to the Dwarfs is replacing the princess meet and greets
*Pixie Hollow has been removed from the plans
*The relocated and expanded Dumbo attraction, along with a rethemed Goof's Barnstormer will be the feature attractions for "Storybook Circus"
*"Storybook Circus" which will be expanded to include the land that was scheduled for Pixie Hollow and some land from Tomorrowland (they are already working on changing the route of the speedway)

And here is the shocking news that will probably upset a lot of people.... The Snow White ride is going away. The attraction will be replaced by a new princess meet and greet that will incorporate some of the tech that was going to be used in the Cindy & Aurora meet and greets.

Most of these have been rumors for several months and there are some other rumors that are not confirmed yet:
*Toontown Train Station to be rethemed to Casey Jr
*"Storybook Circus" could be renamed Circusland and become it's own section, instead of a "sub-section" of Fantasyland.

And here are a few construction updates:
*Ariel has already gone vertical and exterior work is being prepped
*Disney is finishing the referb work throughout the park, then construction should start on the BatB restaurant
*Work has already begun on the Tomorrowland Speedway, to reroute portions of it for the new Dumbo attraction

Right now there is no new time table for when everything will be open, this may be part of the information released tonight...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-fantasyland-expansion-20110118,0,4303622.story
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read on Comcast that they are planning for the first phase to be completed by 2012.

I'm bummin' about Snow White being replaced! First Toad now Snow. Just not right.

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. At WDW…Snow White's Scary Adventures--they are REALLY scary!!

: )
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a post over at WDWMagic.com that contains the new concept artwork: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4416499&postcount=1

I don't see how there is going to be enough room between the current Fantasyland and Ariel for an indoor coaster... Looks like it might be crowded.

Here is the blog post from the official blog, it includes a few hi-res versions of the artwork: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/update-on-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

They still have not posted a specific time line for the opening of the different attractions, but the blog post did say it would 2013 before everything is up and running. Ariel would be the first to open, but wouldn't it be difficult for guests to walk around the construction in the middle while they build the coaster? Either way, I'm glad to finally see some construction walls up around Magic Kingdom for a substantial period of time!

Also, if you look at the concept artwork, there is definitely a arch/gateway leading into Storybook Circus, so I think it will be classified as a separate land, just like ToonTown Fair is now....
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok if snow whites ride goes away. last few times I was there it had little use.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to see an opening day attraction go. It looks like we have until 2012 to enjoy it though. After that, we'll have to visit it in Disneyland. Darn, another excuse to go out there! Very Happy
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sad to see the Snow White dark ride go, but this really does seem like positive progress. Walt always said that the parks should forever be a work in progress, so sometimes attractions need to go to make way for bigger and better things.

It's annoying that the "bigger and better thing" in this case is a character meet and greet, but the mine car coaster sounds very promising. I'm also pumped about what is most likely going to be a new land (and a land that is something that Walt had in mind from the very beginning of Disney's theme park empire).

The Magic Kingdom is beginning to evolve into something more exciting. Next stop, hopefully, Tomorrowland.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now... if they could expand adventureland...
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a a definite response to the "princess-ifaction" of the expansion. That's not to say that the Dwarf Mine Coaster (or any coasters for that matter) are "boy" things, just the removal of more obvious "girl" things in the form of Cindy/Aurora houses AND Pixie Hollow.

I'm with the masses here that I'm sad to see Snow White ride leave and be replaced by effectively the giant tent that is already over in Toontown. I still have up in my "Motor Mania is not a crime" printout from the Toad days (siiiiiiigh) but, at least the characters of Snow White are just being relocated and staying in the park.

Overall, taking the good with the bad, I like the tweaks.

Now if they would take the fire at the Tiki Room as the sign from the gods that it really is.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Disney Blog released a totally cool video, showing some background and ongoing work on the new Ariel attraction. Although it does talk about DCA's Ariel, MK's is supposed to be identical... Enjoy!

[url]http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/01/exclusive-first-look-behind-the-scenes-of-the-little-mermaid-ariel’s-undersea-adventure/[/url]

The board doesn't some the " ' ", so you will need to copy/paste the URL...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: