Expedition Everest Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Parking Tram Doors... Coming Soon!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Parking Tram Doors... Coming Soon!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Parking Tram Doors... Coming Soon! Reply with quote

It seems that Disney is running a few modified parking lot trams at DAK, trams that feature safety doors. Apparently the doors are manually operated and requires the guest to close and open. If they are having problems with guest not holding on to their items or themselves, how are they going to rely on those same guests to secure their door? Also, what happens if they don't secure the door and it slams into a leg or arm while the tram is in motion?

Not sure about this execution... good thing this is just a test... for now...

For photos and more details: http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-doors-for-parking-trams.html
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me this is just some way to limit liability.

The doors do not seem to close close against the frames, meaning no fingers getting caught. They are manually opened and closed, meaning if you open it in mid ride and fall out, well you did it yourself.

And hey, it may actually help someone stay inside on a corner. Will make it much harder for the parents with strollers , diaper bags, etc thought...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Seems to me this is just some way to limit liability.

The doors do not seem to close close against the frames, meaning no fingers getting caught. They are manually opened and closed, meaning if you open it in mid ride and fall out, well you did it yourself.

And hey, it may actually help someone stay inside on a corner. Will make it much harder for the parents with strollers , diaper bags, etc thought...

But if you don't secure it close, then the door could swing in and out while the tram is turning... slamming into someones knee or elbow. And if they were to fall out because they didn't latch it "well most of the other Disney rides latch automatically, I thought this one would too"... It's the same mentality that cause people with heart problems to still ride ToT or M:S even with the caution signs...

Just playing devil's advocate... Twisted Evil
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I think this is kind of crazy. Trams are tough enough to load and unload, now add a door. Is the intent to have the guests close the door, or a tram castmember go down and close and open them all? But really though, have there been THAT many tram accidents that warrent this type of modification?

Lets all hope the DAK test fails and this goes no further.

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just walk from the lot 99% of the time. I'm going to be walking all day anyway. I'll tram it if I'm in the back of a lot, but with the exception of MK, they aren't that bad except during peak times when I typically avoid the parks. I usually end up beating the tram anyway since they wait forever while people load and fumble with the massive strollers.

If I'm too beat at the end of the day to bother walking to my truck, then it will be a game time decision. But I'm fairly confident in my ability to CLOSE A DOOR! Laughing
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are already in use at Disneyland, all the same rules appear to be enforced for the trams, but now you also have to open this awkward door. I'm not sure about back east but there haven't been any remarkable numbers of accidents related to people falling off the tram here.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after thinking about this... I can see this as an attempt to solve what HAS been a problem with the trams. Folks trying to jump on and off while it is in motion.

The addition would definitely make it look less inviting to try and jump on while it is in motion, and make it harder to just stand up and leap off.

Who knows, could this be why they are adding them? To stop the folks jumping off by the car rather than waiting to the unload spot?
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, WDWFan. Although I don't recall ever seeing someone jump from a moving tram (though I'm sure plenty on the boards have), I'm sure it happens enough that Disney feels doors are warranted.

And while small objects may fall out, larger bags wouldn't be able to, thus preventing a cause for someone to jump off the moving tram.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read over the description and it answered a question I had about the ones here at DLR, they can be opened while the tram is in motion which doesn't really trump up the safety. I wonder if by adding the doors they get some form of monetary benefit/return and protection from some lawsuits?
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they are completely manual. I didn't utilize the tram at DLR since we stayed at GC and haven't been to AK since the fix. However, I wonder that if it was an insurance/compliance issue, if they would just implement it all around.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be testing them to see if people are capable of using them without assistance/signage. Here (DLR) I think they did it in batches rather than take all "Deathtrap" trams out of circulation they had a mix.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the doors are just awful...makes me feel like I'm being treated like a child.

UGH!
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Open and shut case: Disney World adding doors to trams Reply with quote

The inevitable is happening:

Guests to Disney's Animal Kingdom or Disney's Hollywood Studios in recent weeks may have experienced a new twist in Walt Disney World transportation: doors on trams.

Walt Disney Co. is in the process of adding doors to all rows of all 23 of its trams, Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius said. The vehicles, which haul thousands of guests from the parking lots to the park gates daily, have had open sides for years.

"We expect our work installing new doors on the trams to be complete by February of 2011," Malenius said.

The 16 trams at Disneyland Resort in California have been fitted with doors already. The work in Florida began with the Animal Kingdom's trams and now has moved to Hollywood Studios.

The doors are manually operated by guests, who simply turn a handle to open and close them when arriving at the tram or exiting it.

At first glance, the tram with all doors shut looks like a tram that's ready to take off. Guests should still listen to cast members for boarding instructions.

Historically, passengers have been instructed not to let small children sit on the outside of the rows. The doors, we'll assume, are designed to prevent people and possessions from flying (or jumping) off the vehicles, particularly on sharp turns.

The additions are a regular part of operations at Disney World, Malenius said.

"We simply identified an opportunity, and we are moving forward with the implementationn," he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-world-trams-doors-20101028,0,3739149.story
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not build parking garages then you dont need the trams plus unless you park on top then your car would be cool when you go home. Oh lets not forget you could loose your car in 3d not just 2d hehehe just kidding

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbaron, this isn’t Universal! And a parking garage does not allow for a cool car here in Florida. Trust me, I park in one every day in downtown Orlando - humid is humid! Sure, the sun shining directly on a car doesn’t help matters, but you’re not getting much relief! Also, due to what happened over at the parking garage at DL recently (http://uabmagic.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4367), they will need to have grates on every opening on that thing. Let’s face it – parking garages aren’t very attractive in general, let alone on a flat Florida landscape!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: