Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney World plans small monorail expansion

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney World plans small monorail expansion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Disney World plans small monorail expansion Reply with quote

Disney World plans small monorail expansion
Featured, Jason Garcia, News — By Jason Garcia on July 27, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Disney said Tuesday it will build a 62-foot maintenance spur off of the system’s Epcot line to serve as a permanent staging area for one of the work tractors used by the resort to tow broken-down trains and inspect and repair track.

The extension will be built next to an existing track switch that is used to transfer trains between the Epcot line and a separate spur leading to one of the system’s two Magic Kingdom loops. Disney currently keeps all of its work tractors in a maintenance bay behind the Magic Kingdom.

The expansion plans were first reported by The Monorail Society, an organization that promotes the use of monorails.

Disney said it wants to have a tractor permanently stationed near the Epcot line in order to allow workers to begin inspections of that track earlier in the evening. Right now, crews typically must wait until the Magic Kingdom closes before they can dispatch a tractor to the Epcot line.

The Magic Kingdom is usually open several hours later than Epcot each night.

“We can begin our routine inspections of the Epcot beam as soon as the Epcot line cycles down for the night, before the Magic Kingdom park closes and with no impact to guests,” Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius said.

Another advantage: The new spur should allow for faster responses when a tractor is needed to tow a broken-down monorail train to a station.

Last December, several of Disney’s trains were brought to a standstill after a computer hard-drive failure shut off power across the 15-mile-long monorail system. About 300 passengers were left stranded by the power outage, which occurred at about 1 a.m.; the last of them weren’t evacuated until close to 4 a.m.

Malenius said the addition will make it easier to get tractors to monorail trains that are stuck anywhere along the Epcot line or on the outer Magic Kingdom loop near the Transportation and Ticket Center.

Construction crews will begin excavation work soon. Disney expects to complete the project by the end of the year.

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/07/disney-world-plans-small-monorail-expansion/

I didn't know there was a Monorail Society... Is it like the Stonecutters?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad they are expanding it, but they need to expand it for guest use!
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Sarah they are monorail enthusiasts

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
alsirrap
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is in responce to WDW being found at fault in the monorail accident last year and that the extra track is to facitate that not happening again.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they need to REALLY expand it! not just a maintenance station but expand it to Hollywood and AK! I know it would be expensive but how amazing would it be! Very Happy Bouncing Figment Bouncing Figment Bouncing Figment
I think Figment speaks for my enthusiasm for this topic!
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireurgunz wrote:
they need to REALLY expand it! not just a maintenance station but expand it to Hollywood and AK! I know it would be expensive but how amazing would it be! Very Happy Bouncing Figment Bouncing Figment Bouncing Figment
I think Figment speaks for my enthusiasm for this topic!

not to mention more jobs and better for the enviroment

pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see it expanded, as well, but we're talking a possible billion dollar expenditure here. I'd say that at the very least, and this is pie-in-the-sky economics here, it would cost Disney $50-60 million per mile of new monorail construction. In reality, it would probably be closer to $100 million per mile.

That technology ain't cheap. Even though it would be "greener" and save some money on alternate transportation costs, I really doubt Disney is willing to drop that much cash on something that has no hope of ever making money, unless they start charging for the privilege of riding one.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
I'd love to see it expanded, as well, but we're talking a possible billion dollar expenditure here. I'd say that at the very least, and this is pie-in-the-sky economics here, it would cost Disney $50-60 million per mile of new monorail construction. In reality, it would probably be closer to $100 million per mile.

That technology ain't cheap. Even though it would be "greener" and save some money on alternate transportation costs, I really doubt Disney is willing to drop that much cash on something that has no hope of ever making money, unless they start charging for the privilege of riding one.

i had read a quote where it cost one million a mile only besides how much do the spend in fuel cost every year and then factor in maintenance costs at least they have the infrastructure to handle the maintenance aspect and if you believe cough cough al gore cough cough then you cant put a price on the environment

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, the monorails are not really the most efficient transportation method for moving people around. A lot of people on-line believe that replacing buses with an expanded monorail might make the situation worse.

I think the best way of fixing the transportation situation is more efficient busing system and maybe an expansion of some of the alternate forms of transportation (or maybe just better advertising for the alternate forms).

Besides, Disney is working on more efficient buses, that could end up being more efficient than an expanded monorail and considerably cheaper. Disney is already testing natural gas buses. And with the recent transition of trains, trams, etc... to fryer oil based at Disneyland, Disney has a lot of options.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing, from when that guy went all Wayne Brady on that bus driver, that they do have a union. I could just imagine the backlash if Disney decided to reduce bus service for monorail since it probably requires fewer staff since each train holds a lot more.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbaron314 wrote:
pugmalion1 wrote:

i had read a quote where it cost one million a mile only besides how much do the spend in fuel cost every year and then factor in maintenance costs at least they have the infrastructure to handle the maintenance aspect and if you believe cough cough al gore cough cough then you cant put a price on the environment

The "million dollars a mile" thing is a bit of a Disney urban legend, much like the black squares in the Swan and Dolphin hotels being there because of past or future monorail expansion plans. In reality, it would cost much, much more.

If Disney could build twenty miles of new monorail track for only $20 million, don't you think they would have jumped at the opportunity already? I mean, $20 million sounds like a lot to you or me, but that is petty cash to the Disney Corporation. They could probably change mustard brands and justify the cost, if it were only $20 million.

I think, taking into account the construction costs of similar types of mass transit systems that have been built around the world in recent years, my estimate of close to $100 million per mile is probably closer to the actual cost.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the black squares?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice round of up all the popular "myths" regarding the monorails, including the "1 million a mile" and the Swan & Dolphin access:

http://www.yesterland.com/monoraillegends.html
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Nice round of up all the popular "myths" regarding the monorails, including the "1 million a mile" and the Swan & Dolphin access:

http://www.yesterland.com/monoraillegends.html

HAHAHA yeah I was thinking that too, daguru. But I thought maybe people were being facetious...
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they extend the track to my house in Windermere? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: