Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Sells Power Rangers

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Sells Power Rangers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Disney Sells Power Rangers Reply with quote

Haim Saban buys back 'Power Rangers'
The media mogul, who launched the hit show in the 1990s, pays a reported $100 million to regain control of it from Walt Disney Co.

By Ben Fritz
May 13, 2010

One of the most popular — and reviled — icons of 1990s children's television is back in the hands of the man who launched it.

Media mogul Haim Saban has bought back the rights to "Power Rangers," the hit television show that fueled his dominance of children's television in the 1990s, from Walt Disney Co., which took control of the property in 2001.

Saban has also signed a deal with Nickelodeon, Disney's primary rival in the children's TV business, to air 20 new episodes of "Power Rangers" that he will produce, along with a catalog of more than 700 episodes.

The deal is worth about $100 million, according to a person familiar with the situation. Saban declined to comment on the price.

Originally known as "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," the low-budget series debuted in 1993 and consisted primarily of recycled footage from Japan of monsters battling teenage superheroes with many voices dubbed by American actors.

"Power Rangers" was one of the most popular shows on the cable channel Fox Family, a joint venture of Saban and News Corp. that was acquired by Disney for $3.2 billion. The acquisition included rights to the show, but as its popularity faded Disney moved it to the smaller cable channel Jetix, now known as Disney XD, and most recently to local ABC stations on weekends.

"I think this property has significant legs going forward if it's in an environment where it is nurtured and supported as opposed to being part of a huge portfolio," Saban said. " 'Power Rangers' can flourish and be more impactful than it has been for the past five years."

A Disney spokesman said the show no longer fits with the company's brand or programming strategy.

For Nickelodeon, the "Power Rangers" deal is part of a push to air more programming that appeals to young boys. The Viacom Inc.-owned network recently made a similar deal to relaunch the popular 1980s cartoon "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

"This fits in nicely as we are doing more things specifically for boys, and we are excited to add proven properties to our original slate," Nickelodeon President Cyma Zarghami said.

Although "Power Rangers" was somewhat controversial in the 1990s for its violence, she said she didn't think the show's campy martial arts would bother many parents today.

The acquisition is being made under the auspices of Saban Brands, a new company backed by $500 million of the media mogul's money with the goal of acquiring entertainment and consumer "brands."

Saban said the company is in negotiations to buy three other brands. He declined to identify them but said that, unlike "Power Rangers," they are not aimed at children.

Source: LA Times; http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/tv/la-fi-ct-saban-20100513,0,877261.story

There is no doubt that this is because of Disney's acquisition of Marvel. Disney only bought the Power Rangers in an attempt to capture the teen male demographic and it never really caught on. With the purchasing of Marvel, they now have the "foot in the door" to the that teen male demographic. They no longer need Power Rangers, so why not sell them and make a quick buck off them...
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that I'll never have to listen to that obnoxious noise when they show up for a meet and greet at Studios.

Yay!!!!!!
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now... I don't claim to be a great math mind or anything but,...... If I pay $3.2 billion for something and then sell it for $100 million Did I lose Money????

I understand the whole Disney had it for over 15 years and was reaping the benefits from its income the whole time, I think they bought late and the waning years did nothing for them so I feel they took it in the shorts on this one... How much could this have generated while they had them 1$ billiion $2 Billion???? either way dump it and get out from under it for $100 Million..... Confused
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked at the store, we had PR....ummm...stuff. It never sold. Only when it was on DEEP discount could we sell it. I was at the store for almost 3 years and never saw it sell well. I agree, they got in too late for that game. But with Marvel, they don't need them,

Personally, I'm glad they're gone. I was never a fan.

Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to see a bunch of guys in colorful tight outfits, dancing around, using fake kung-fu moves....I just go to the corner of Clark and Diversey...which I never do anyway...so I guess I won't miss them either! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what they will acquire next. Felix the Cat, Popeye, Supercar?
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figmentathm wrote:
I wonder what they will acquire next. Felix the Cat, Popeye, Supercar?

Captain Planet.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor business choice, but at least they got 100 mill back.

Be interesting to see if there is a PR resurgence.

I was never a PR fan so I for 1 am glad to see them go. I would have preferred Disney to acquire Kung Fu Panda. (I know it was years later...) At least that would have been a better fit.

Disney is acquiring things for the tween boy market and then not using them appropriately.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a big fan and they just made lots of noise so I will not miss them.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellory I work close to Clark and Diversey I get my fill of the "everyday Power Rangers" and I lock my doors as I go by...... Razz

I would be at the studios and they would come marching down the street with the Green Army Men or having there Meet & Greet and I would just wonder how they could ever be Disney-fied? Oh well Good Riddance!!!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownieboy69 wrote:
Now... I don't claim to be a great math mind or anything but,...... If I pay $3.2 billion for something and then sell it for $100 million Did I lose Money????

They didn't buy the Power Rangers for that much, Disney purchase what was know as "Fox Kids Network" at the time. This included the rights to Saban Entertainment and its library of kids’ shows, which included the Power Rangers. That channel would become Jetix, Toon Disney and relaunched last year as Disney XD.

Saban Entertainment includes a large number of cartoon series rights, including most Marvel cartoons from the 60s through now, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z ditribution rights, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, and a ton of classic 80's cartoons (Kissyfur, Lazer Tag Academy , Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, Dungeons and Dragons , and more)... You can view the list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saban_Entertainment

All in all, I don't think it was that bad of an investment... they just need to start releasing some of those shows on DVD, start leveraging that expansive library... Especially the classic Marvel shows (especially since they know own them 100%) and the 80s cartoons...
wdwaddict
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adios Power Rangers wish I could say that I'll miss them, but I won't! They drove me nuts I always made my best effort to avoid them when I saw them come out. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: