its a small world teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney coming after YouTube videos?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney coming after YouTube videos?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Disney coming after YouTube videos? Reply with quote

Legal limbo: Disney could go after you for posting vacation videos online

Lots of people use YouTube and other video sharing sites to upload videos taken on their vacations. But when it
comes to footage of your last trip to
Disneyland, a park run by corporate masters who are famously vigilant in protecting their intellectual rights with lawsuits, you may want to keep those videos to yourself.

As it turns out, corporate lawyers for theme parks have every right to come down on you like a ton of bricks for posting videos of their client's lucrative creations, including banjo-playing bears or live versions of Beauty and the Beast. Indeed, you could theoretically get sued for posting a video of your daughter's first ride on Peter Pan's Flight and sharing it with everyone you know.

"Disney theme parks are tremendously popular as places where guests create lasting memories with family and friends using media such as videos," began the response from a spokesperson for Disney Parks. And then: "In instances when uploaded video violates our intellectual property rights we have options to protect it."

Too vague for you? It was for me, since it doesn't explain how Mom and Dad will know if they have violated those rights.

"Each situation is evaluated on a case-by-case basis," Disney's rep said when pressed further. However, the rep refused to provide the corporate definition of "intellectual property rights," or to say which aspects of a case would be evaluated. In fact, the rep declined to elaborate on the topic at all.

When it comes to copyright, if someone uses proprietary material in news coverage, parody, or criticism, it's often considered "fair use" and it's allowed to slide. But in this age of Web reporting and citizen criticism, could a YouTube video of the Finding Nemo musical at Animal Kingdom be considered "fair use"? It's tough to get an exact number of vacation videos already online, but YouTube a search for "Disney World vacation" pulls about 67,500 hits, while individual attractions got smaller numbers: It's a Small World claims 4,230 and Splash Mountain offers 2,160.

And what would happen if YouTube should place a few ads onto a popular video taken at a Disney park, as with this example from the Hall of Presidents? When that happens, it means a guest is making a little bit of money off the video of Disney characters. Are you infringing on Disney's copyright in all or some of these cases?

A Gray Area That Can Go Painfully Awry

Disney doesn't deny it either way, but the wording of its policy, and its ominous reference to its "options," might suggest otherwise. Disney has no stated policy against your right to post videos that document your park experiences. It also has no stated policy saying you can.

To stave off persistent accusations of enabling copyright infringement, YouTube historically been quickly compliant with corporate complaints. It follows a largely pre-emptive policy of summarily deleting any video for which you can't prove you own the rights. Its policy can be as erratic as Disney's is vague, inciting the ire of Web watchdog groups such as the Electronic Frontier Foundation. (That may be annoying, but at least you don't live in Italy, where the government is proposing you have to obtain a license if you want to upload any moving picture to the Internet.)

In some cases, YouTube has entered into partnership deals with companies such as Warner Music Group to post the only officially approved versions of their content. If YouTube deletes your home movies, remind them Disney has no policy that says you're not allowed participate in revenue-sharing opportunities, such as using Google AdSense.

On the dark side, Disney's stated policy leaves plenty of room for it to come after you. Theoretically, it could decide tomorrow to sue you over that vacation video of the musical parade down Main Street. It's unlikely as long as your upload portrays the company in a positive light, but it could.

I could find no example of such a lawsuit so far, probably because few people would think that defending their free Web upload rights would be worth the legal bills. Typically, the first step of such a dispute would be for a copyright holder to contact the Website hosting any offending video and demand its removal, and as soon as that happens, the hosted copies of the vacation video are usually deleted.

Until the big theme parks address this legal gray area, be warned that your home movies of the Enchanted Tiki Room are uploaded at your own risk, and they could theoretically result in your facing down the barrel of some corporate weaponry -- or at the very least, seeing your vacation videos erased by YouTube on the basis of no clearly stated set of guidelines. Without a clear policy in place, Disney could be justified in requesting the removal of all them tomorrow.

Disney Isn't the Only One

And other theme parks' policies toward video sharing?

Universal Orlando Resort said "we would ask that [guests] use caution when posting to share sites or social sites. Many of our rides, shows and activities include trademarks or copyrighted elements. We would naturally be concerned in anything that was shared in public violated law or regulations or compromised our good name."

Like Disney, then, you're allowed to post home videos. Except when you're not allowed to.

Universal, too, would not supply WalletPop with its policy on ads being placed on guests' vacation videos.

The theme park company with the most explicit and permissive policy was, not surprisingly, also the same one with few proprietary characters at stake. I asked Busch Entertainment Corp., which runs SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, whether the company takes an official line when guests posts videos of their in-park experiences.

"We like it when our guests do that," a rep told me, adding that although footage "can't be used commercially or re-sold," the company isn't averse to guests collecting revenue-share money from ads placed on their videos.

"We don't consider that to be a violation of someone sharing their personal video," the rep said.

Source: WalletPop; http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/01/19/legal-limbo-disney-could-go-after-you-for-posting-vacation-vide/

I could see where Disney might want to go after certain kinds of video... It could show everyone had bad an attraction/show might be... but the flip side is that it could show everyone how awesome an attraction/show might be. I hope that Disney keeps this kind of thing to a minimum, I don't think the videos hurt them too much... Kinda reminds me of when Paramount started forcing people to stop posting Star Trek related videos (several years ago), while Lucasfilm embraced Star Wars related videos... Back then it make Paramount look bad and Lucasfilm looked really cool...
ericpabear
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame. Why take away the fun. No one is makeing money off it, are they? Isn't it like loaning out you videos, or movies? Some times when Utilidors isn't playing what I would like to hear I listen to youtube. I search Walt Disney World , under the playlist column, and listen while at work. It plays for hours. ( I do sneak a peak every now and then.) I have noticed a few videos that have been removed due to copy rights violations.
Disney also maintains their own youtube chanel. It's nice, but just doesn't have what I want. It's real lame.
mdegrand
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was inevitable. We are lucky that it lasted as long as it did, and I can't say that I blame the Corporation.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends what they attempt to ban... Watching your kids at a met and greet... I can not see banning that. Banning a ride-through of E-ticket attraction, yeah, I can see that.
Guess it will be a question of wait and see.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't take down all those Marathon Weekend videos. They keep me going when the going gets tough.
Dyemooch
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely see the infringement if someone posts a video of a ride or musical still playing at the parks- but if we're talking about rides that have been shut down or MAJORLY changed, then I'd at least ask that Disney sets up a sort of "archive" account on YouTube and share old rides/shows for fans looking for them.
I don't think meet-and-greets with characters, general "this is us at Disney!" videos, and various generic type home movies/capture video that portrays a specific guest experience will be effected by this. It'd be like not being able to put up a home movie you had because a Toys R' Us, McDonald's, or Walmart appeared in the background.

I can't blame the Walt Disney Corporation for it's actions, but I admit that the vagueness is a bit unsettling. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with, as MOST companies act that way with their properties on YouTube; but I can see people spinning this as "DISNEY'S GOING TO KILL YOUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES WATCH OUT!".

blah blah blah, that's me, blah blah.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a fine line between recording an experience of a person on an attraction and taping the attraction itself. what about a guest who has never been on, say, everest and tapes their maiden voyage? the person would be infringing if they were making a profit, right? Anyone can pay for a ticket and see the magic first hand...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: