Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney to spread cruise ships around the world

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney to spread cruise ships around the world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericpabear
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Disney to spread cruise ships around the world Reply with quote

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-cruise-line-091109,0,7657553.story

With a larger new ship arriving at Port Canaveral in 2011, Disney Cruise Line will send existing ships to Alaska and Europe

12:25 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2009
Disney Cruise Line, whose fleet is about to double in size, is preparing to spread its ships around the world.
The company announced today that it will send its Disney Wonder cruise ship to Alaska during the summer of 2011, its first foray into one of the cruise industry's most popular and lucrative markets. At the same time, the company will send the Disney Magic ship back to Europe for another summer of sailings in the Mediterranean Sea.
Disney Cruise Line will be able to offer multiple far-flung destinations in 2011 because the year marks the arrival of the Disney Dream, the first of two new massive ocean liners the company is having built in Germany. Although Disney has not yet announced an itinerary for the new ship, which is expected to arrive near the beginning of 2011, it will spend the year sailing out of Disney's longtime base at Port Canaveral.
The Dream will be joined at the Brevard County seaport in 2012 by the Disney Fantasy. The new ships will hold about 4,000 passengers each -- compared with 2,700 each for the Magic and Wonder -- and will include new features such as water slides that extend beyond their decks and over open water.
Disney, which announced plans for the new ships in early 2007, has been itching to expand its cruise footprint for years. The company views cruising as a valuable growth engine, offering both an opportunity to introduce the Disney brand to consumers in new markets and to capture more vacation spending from devoted company fans.
"The beauty of the Disney Cruise Line -- and the expansion of this fleet -- is it truly is a fantastic growth opportunity. This investment makes sense for the company," said Karl Holz, president of Disney Cruise Line and New Vacation Operations.
The Wonder will spend about four months in Alaska beginning in early May of 2011, offering seven-night sailings out of Vancouver, B.C. To prepare for the new climate, the ship will undergo an extensive overhaul during a dry dock in which crews will add a 2,500-square-foot, enclosed viewing area on a top deck.
"When you go to Alaska, you need to be prepared," Holz said. "The weather can be absolutely perfect -- and it can also be on the chilly side."
The Wonder will spend the rest of 2011 sailing seven-night voyages along the Mexican Riviera out of its new home port in Los Angeles. The Wonder has been based at Port Canaveral but will move with the arrival of the Dream.
Aside from its three months in the Mediterranean, the Magic will spend the rest of 2011 sailing familiar seven-night Caribbean itineraries out of Port Canaveral. The ship is expected to get a new permanent home in 2012, when the Fantasy begins sailing out of the Brevard County port.
Asked about the future of the Magic, Holz said to look at the ship as "a sort of globe-trotting ship."
"Our guests have told us all along, 'We want to go to new places. We want to go to exotic locations,' " Holz said. "And frankly, there are options beyond those that we're talking about today."
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is articles like this that make me wish I had money
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start saving! ...and saving... and saving...

It will be worth every penny though! Very Happy
UncleDick
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that I will ever take a Disney cruise, but the Alaskan option sounds intriguing. And congrats to Disney for its successful venture into the competitive cruise ship market. How about rolling those profits into some capital expansion at your flagship theme parks, eh Iger? Wink
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.... sprucing up some of the existing rides might not be bad either.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted a cruise to Alaska, but I am not sure it would have been a Disney one...Still it sounds interesting. Price-wise I hope it works out better than the Disney Adventures package for Alaska. I mean, gee I am single and have a decent job but 7,000 + per person for a one week trip?

Just think of all those starving mouseketeers in China tat would feed...
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude!!!! Vancouver is a two hour drive from my place...I think I could afford this cruise...and my parents have always wanted to do the Alaska thing...I'm thinking this will be THE thing to do in a couple of years!!!

: )
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the Disney Alaska cruise to my coworker yesterday. She's very interested because her in-laws don't drink or gamble (or do anything fun Razz ) and would like to take them on the Alaska cruise. She took her parents on a different cruise line last year. I heard that DCL will be working in tandem with Adventures by Disney when it comes to tours and such, which makes sense. The cruise she and her husband went on, she said was amazing. I, however, have spent many, many years looking at and shoveling snow, and seeing snow is not my idea of a vacation. If I'm going to spend my time off in a cold climate, it better be in Europe! Oh hey, Disney mentioned a cruise for that locale, too! Seriously, gotta start saving. My Matt won't settle for less then a balcony Faint
mdegrand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
I mentioned the Disney Alaska cruise to my coworker yesterday. She's very interested because her in-laws don't drink or gamble (or do anything fun Razz ) and would like to take them on the Alaska cruise. She took her parents on a different cruise line last year. I heard that DCL will be working in tandem with Adventures by Disney when it comes to tours and such, which makes sense. The cruise she and her husband went on, she said was amazing. I, however, have spent many, many years looking at and shoveling snow, and seeing snow is not my idea of a vacation. If I'm going to spend my time off in a cold climate, it better be in Europe! Oh hey, Disney mentioned a cruise for that locale, too! Seriously, gotta start saving. My Matt won't settle for less then a balcony Faint

no, I wouldn't. Give me a balcony and Disney Cruise bingo........I'll meet you at Diversions.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow UABr's! I'm taking donations so Matt can have his dream cruise!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: