Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney to Buy Marvel Entertainment for $4 Billion! ºoº

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney to Buy Marvel Entertainment for $4 Billion! ºoº
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Disney to Buy Marvel Entertainment for $4 Billion! ºoº Reply with quote

The Walt Disney Co. said Monday it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the family of Mickey Mouse and WALL-E.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters. Many of them, including favorites such as the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, were co-created by the comic book legend Stan Lee.

Disney said Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash, plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own. That values each Marvel share at $50 based on Friday’s closing stock prices.

I wonder how this is going to affect the Spiderman ride and Hulk coaster at Islands of Adventure. Hmmmmmm.....Smile
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Marvel Superhero Island will run fin until Universal's contract with Marvel runs out.

I wish Disney would buy DC. There's so much potential with Batman.
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my head just exploded because of this. In a good way.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so all the Marvel themed coasters are gonna be plucked out of the ground at Universal and begin appearing at a Disney Park nearest you!!!! Film at eleven!~
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still money in comics? Or are they going for the movie rights? Also, some of those comics can be downright black. I hope Disney knows what they are doing because if they keep running some of the blacker comics, people will complain and if they cut them out, people will go ballistic...
Dyemooch
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTKnight3 wrote:
Is there still money in comics? Or are they going for the movie rights? Also, some of those comics can be downright black. I hope Disney knows what they are doing because if they keep running some of the blacker comics, people will complain and if they cut them out, people will go ballistic...

Being someone who works in the comic industry(with IDW Publishing), I'd still like to think there's money in comics, lol. Though that could be blind optimism. Comics are slowly dying because of the digital era making it easier to acquire books without paying... and comics generally losing public interest.
This news interests me a lot, though. I know Boom Studios(Boom comics?) is doing Disney-licensed books, but I wonder if this means that Marvel will start taking the helm with that? I would love to see epic Disney comics that use the Disney VIPs(and chip'n'dale), but maybe I'm reading into this too heavily. For all I know, Disney and Marvel are teaming up, but not doing anything to affect each other...
Now I have to draw an image of Captain Amickeya vs the Red Pete.
I wish Disney bought IDW Publishing instead... not that they push out as well known titles, but this way I could 'technically' still be working for Disney... now I really gotta try to into Marvel, lol.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie rights are huge. And I agree with the comment on going for DC & being able to obtain Batman. He's my favorite, though I'm happy with Wolverine getting a set of mouse ears! Disney will be able to market the more risque franchise. They've been working their way into that realm more. The PotC movies can attest to that.
CTKnight3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I never thought of Disney using Marvel to publish Disney comics. There is an interesting idea.

Personally though, I would hope they don't put these comic characters in the parks since the theming is ALL wrong. As someone at MICEAGE said, now they have something to build in the Strawberry field and now they have a new park concept for WDW that they can pretty much guarantee is successful. But MK/DL, Epcot, AK, DHS, none of those parks...not even DCA/PIXARland lend themselves to Marvel comis.

I can see a new park done well, but I hope they don't stick em in the others. If Pixar is too much, then these will really throw off the balance. It just will not "feel" right to see Mickey with Spiderman or a bikini dressed superheroine.

This Sunday the Wolverine was going at it with Spiderman. Does this mean Mickey and Goofy challenge the X-Men? No No No. Good for business, but please please please keep them seperate.

Of course too, how many of the comic characters will take a vacation to Disney in thier strips now?
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only park that comic characters could remotely fit into would be DHS, but they'd need their own 'land' and even that would be a stretch. I'm sure we'll see a gift shop selling solely comic merch in no time though!
Dyemooch
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTKnight3 wrote:
Hmm...I never thought of Disney using Marvel to publish Disney comics. There is an interesting idea.

Personally though, I would hope they don't put these comic characters in the parks since the theming is ALL wrong. As someone at MICEAGE said, now they have something to build in the Strawberry field and now they have a new park concept for WDW that they can pretty much guarantee is successful. But MK/DL, Epcot, AK, DHS, none of those parks...not even DCA/PIXARland lend themselves to Marvel comis.

I can see a new park done well, but I hope they don't stick em in the others. If Pixar is too much, then these will really throw off the balance. It just will not "feel" right to see Mickey with Spiderman or a bikini dressed superheroine.

This Sunday the Wolverine was going at it with Spiderman. Does this mean Mickey and Goofy challenge the X-Men? No No No. Good for business, but please please please keep them seperate.

Of course too, how many of the comic characters will take a vacation to Disney in thier strips now?

Also makes me want to bulk up in case Disney starts having Marvel Characters in the park... only valid if they keep Wolverine short, unlike Universal's 5'6" guy... I'm a nerd like that, lol. WOLVERINE WOULD BE MUNK-Height, lol.
I would definitely love to see Disney using Marvel as a means to push comics- but I'd like to see something "epic". Completely impossible, but I'd LOVE to books based on the lesser known characters- mostly the park characters like Figment. I feel like there's so much potential in a character encouraging people to use their imagination, but I can see that going wrong fast, but I don't know the character copyright logistics and if he's a character in co-op between Disney and Kodak or something.

However, I'd love to see a Rescue Rangers comic, lol.

Last edited by Dyemooch on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyemooch wrote:
Being someone who works in the comic industry(with IDW Publishing), I'd still like to think there's money in comics, lol. Though that could be blind optimism. Comics are slowly dying because of the digital era making it easier to acquire books without paying... and comics generally losing public interest.
This news interests me a lot, though. I know Boom Studios(Boom comics?) is doing Disney-licensed books, but I wonder if this means that Marvel will start taking the helm with that? I would love to see epic Disney comics that use the Disney VIPs(and chip'n'dale), but maybe I'm reading into this too heavily. For all I know, Disney and Marvel are teaming up, but not doing anything to affect each other...
Now I have to draw an image of Captain Amickeya vs the Red Pete.
I wish Disney bought IDW Publishing instead... not that they push out as well known titles, but this way I could 'technically' still be working for Disney... now I really gotta try to into Marvel, lol.

Slave Labor Graphics (SLG) was doing a number of Disney comics (HM, Alice, and I think Tron), but that went no where. That may have been in part due to marketing, or the fact that SLG was a small player. Maybe putting those titles under Marvel would be better, and then they could also launch a line of Pirates, or Princesses, or just Fab Five comics.

But I also agree, keep the Marvel Universe away from the Disney world! And never the two shall meet!

CTKnight3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownieboy69 wrote:
Ok so all the Marvel themed coasters are gonna be plucked out of the ground at Universal and begin appearing at a Disney Park nearest you!!!! Film at eleven!~

The actual Plucking, carrying to the new site and replanting will be done by the Huilk and Mr. Incredible who will use it as a chance to work out together.
digimarc
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be huge for either a mass expansion at DHS or potentially a 5th gate.

The issue is a CTKnight said, finding a way to do this with out pulling in the blacker aspects of the marvel stories that are not Disney like.

If Disney just does this for the movie rights alone it is a huge win with out ever going near the parks.... Even using this to simply get the new Disney channel for boys stock material, it would be a win. Getting comic books out again would be a win as well... A POTC comic could be a huge seller. (And not just to guys....)

Finally, look at the other side of this... the damage it does to Isles of Adventure. Anyone know when that contract expires? Be a huge whack to have potter land open at the same time the rest of the park is closing due to rights on these names... Universal can not be happy with this news. (Unless Disney is looking to resell it back to them at a profit...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: