Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Monorail Fatality at WDW

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Monorail Fatality at WDW
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything points to miscommunication from the Control Tower. They gave the OK to reverse onto the switch track when the switch was not made. Either it was carelessness or they thought they were giving permission to reverse just a few yards to reverse Pink from being a little too far from where they normally stop.

Since Disney put sensors on the switch, it sounds as if it was the former but I would hope not.

Another question unfortunately is: Instead of having to override MAPO to perform the switch, why was there not a switching subroutine they could override too?

I feel bad for Driver Pink though. He was following directions as best he could and now he has to carry this around even though he really did nothing incorrect.

My prayers to Driver Purple and his family.

Re: the ban on front cabin. Yeah, the questions you would be asked would drive you nuts...but also...from the pictures ... GEEZ if a guest had been in there! Now I know why they told me once that they normally ban front seat during switching.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, please keep in mind that everything being reported is speculation, not fact. The complete situation has not been publicized yet, so everything right now is just speculation (although much of it seems completely logical).

Having said that, I agree that the Pink driver has a burden to carry for the rest of his life. It's sad on so many levels. But there are things to be thankful for...what if that family of 6 was a family of 4? THEY could have been in the cabin also. And although a life was lost, no one else was seriously injured.

Our heartfelt sorrow goes out to all involved, especially the family and friends of the driver who was killed.

ericpabear
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTSB: Monorail pilot who died tried to back away from oncoming train
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-disney-monorail-ntsb-update-070809,0,3212363.story

Disney places three on paid leave in wake of deadly monorail crash
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-disney-monorail-crash-employees-070909,0,5549751.story
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Koening has uncovered some recent issues with the monorail, as recent as a few days ago, that may shift part of the blame for the accident away from CMs and towards a technical issue:

A computer glitch on Walt Disney World’s monorail system forced the resort to shut down the Epcot line yesterday—and opens up the possibility that July 5’s fatal crash may not have been entirely human error.

Disney World operates three separate monorail lines (Magic Kingdom Resort line running from the Ticket & Transportation Center to the park and three hotels; Express, which stops only at the TTC and Magic Kingdom, and Epcot, which runs between the TTC and Epcot. Since the Epcot line does not connect to the barn, when adding or subtracting trains, vehicles travel to or from the Express line via a spur track near the TTC. Shop activates Switch 8 (connecting Express to the spur) and Switch 9 (connecting the other end of the spur to the Epcot line), and power begins to course along the spur.

Yesterday, however, switches 8 and 9 were lined up with the mainline, but the lights on the computer console at Shop erroneously indicated 8 was on the spur.

“Express is operating, but they can’t bring up power on the Epcot beam through the switches,” an insider reported early yesterday evening. “The conflict today casts doubt on who ultimately was at fault in July. It’s possible that Shop’s board may have indicated that the switches were aligned on the spur while they were actually still on the mainline.”

So conceivably those at consoles could have been led to believe all was well in the moments before the fatal crash. Even so, I have to think there was still time to react.

As one monorail old-timer shared, “Early in my career as a pilot we talked with one of the Park Rangers (that’s what Monorail Shop calls the maintenance cast who hang out at TTC so they can respond to problems faster) about the computers on the train. He quickly corrected us. He said there are three PROCESSORS in the monitoring system. However, ‘there is only one COMPUTER on the train: the pilot.’ Meaning that we pilots were ultimately responsible for the operation of the train, and those souls on board and that we shouldn’t explicitly trust the electronics.”

Source: Mouseplant; http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=558

It sounds like there were a lot of mistakes and failures on on multiple people and systems that happened at the exact same time. Maybe it is time to overhaul the system...?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this article for photos and a video of the new Teal Monorail, with it's stripe this time: http://www.wdwnewstoday.com/archives/4597
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounded better than it looks. The teal just seems dull and washed out...
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably look better in person.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just being able to be at WDW will make it look better.

Any thing has to be better than sitting here - working.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monorail Teal is now in full service...
CTKnight3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we rode Teal and I did not see anyone avoiding it. The color is so close to the blue that I think most people, even if they know teal is the old Purple/Pink, can not even tell the difference. You actually have to look at the white parts to see that the whole paint is new

If FELT the same as the other colors. Rumor is they have ordered a replacement for number 12
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised they do not have a monorail brown. I'd have gone there before teal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: