Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Eggs?!?!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Eggs?!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Disney Eggs?!?! Reply with quote

Disney hatches an egg-cellent idea for kids
The company hopes for a hit with cartoon characters stamped on eggs it says offer higher nutrition.
By Linda Florea | Sentinel Staff Writer
April 2, 2009

Walt Disney Co., which has licensed its characters' images for use on everything from clothing to breakfast cereals, has hatched an idea that it hopes catches on nationwide: fresh Disney eggs.

Disney Consumer Products started testing sales of Disney Farm Fresh Eggs last month in supermarkets in Florida and New York. The brightly colored cartons, with a smiling Mickey Mouse on top, contain specialty, nutrient-improved eggs with Mickey and other company characters stamped on the shells.

The eggs are produced by Eggland's Best, a Jeffersonville, Pa., company, though most of the eggs sold in the Orlando area and the rest of Florida come from a farm near the Georgia border, company President and Chief Executive Officer Charlie Lanktree said.

Disney is hoping the eggs are a hit on two fronts: with children, thanks to the Disney characters, and with parents, thanks to the eggs' stepped-up nutritional value.

for you' egg that was fun for families with children," Disney spokeswoman Shawn Turner said. "Having the quality endorsement of Eggland's Best, with their all-natural, all-vegetarian patented hen feed, seemed like a great fit."

Feeding the chickens a vegetarian diet of grains, canola oil and natural supplements of rice bran, alfalfa, sea kelp and vitamin E makes the birds' eggs special and improves their nutritional value, according to Disney and Eggland.

Disney eggs have almost three times the omega-3 of regular eggs — 100milligrams. Omega-3 has been shown to be beneficial for heart and brain health, though there are no daily recommended requirements. Fish is considered a prime source of omega-3, and two servings per week are recommended.

"For people that don't like fish, they can have omega-3 in other foods," said Cyndy Mondelus, a family and consumer sciences agent with the Orange County Extension Service.

Disney eggs also have about 10 times more vitamin E, which is beneficial for eye health, and less cholesterol and saturated fat than do ordinary eggs.

Florida and New York were chosen as the first test markets, but sales are to expand to Colorado sometime this month.

A dozen of the eggs currently cost an average of 50 to 70 cents more than a generic dozen. There was no word on when Disney eggs would be available nationally.

Disney delved into the food market in 2006, lending its name to kid-focused foods that met specific limits on calories, fat, saturated fat and sugar.

Its product line already includes fresh fruit and vegetables; dried fruit and trail mix; snack bars; chocolate, strawberry and white milk; drink sticks; juice; cereal; soups; and pizza and pasta.

Neither Disney eggs nor generic eggs contain additives, preservatives or hormones, which are not permitted in egg production.

Eggland's Best has been selling specialty eggs since 1992. Lanktree said sales have grown by double-digit percentages in each of the past 12 years. Last year the company sold more than 2 billion eggs.

"Eggs are very good for kids, with the protein and nutrients they get," Lanktree said. "When we did research, mothers were excited to have a high-quality food and efficient protein source that kids would like to eat."

Source: Orlando Sentinel; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bizdizeggs02040209apr02,0,7117033.story

Sounds interesting, but is it work the additional $0.50?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two items here...

Would I pay .50 more to have eggs with Mickey on them. Probably not.
Would I pay.50 more for Eggs with more benefit from them. Maybe.

If they can use Disney to get attention to the eggs, ok I'll buy that, but the cartoon itself is not enough for me.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is yet another April Fools joke, Right?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not April Fools... regarding the nutritional information, I believe the increased levels is normal for any Eggsland eggs, Disney or not.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope saw them on tv they are real no yolk hahahaha no seriously they are real mickey is really laying one now

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happier if Daisy or one of her ilk was laying them rather than a mouse...
CTKnight3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Out...Disney is trying to corner the Easter Market!!!
CTKnight3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch Out...Disney is trying to corner the Easter Market!!!
infomercialscams
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can one say to this Disney Egg thing. Sad, very sad that Disney did this to eggs.

What next Disney brand bacon and sausage? Disney brand pancakes and waffles? Disney brand syrup?

I'm sure the eggs cost more than normal. Like I'm going to pay for eggs with Disney toons stamped on them.

DEAN GRAZIOSI REVIEW RATINGS
napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that Donald Duck orange juice is my favorite orange juice, so who know's, maybe I'll try the Mickey eggs if I see them in CA. What can I say, I'm a sucker for gimmicky foods. Cool
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's ok i was in a dollar general market and saw Disney bananas yes Disney bananas product from Columbia

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
DznyDiva
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

napabeth wrote:
All I can say is that Donald Duck orange juice is my favorite orange juice, so who know's, maybe I'll try the Mickey eggs if I see them in CA. What can I say, I'm a sucker for gimmicky foods. Cool

I have to say that was my favorite orange juice too.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE have orange Juice and bananas. Can Orange Banana juice be far behind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: