Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Another Live Act cut by Disney

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Another Live Act cut by Disney
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, regarding Fantasmic, I can see it not running every day. I think the biggest problem people have with it are the DAYS that it will run. With the show only running on weekdays (Mondays and Thursdays) it makes it difficult for local residents to see the show. I know there are a lot of local residents that live close to the parks and could see the show, but I know a large amount that live 20-30 mins from the parks and with the traffic as bad as it is weeknights, going to the parks is almost impossible. Not to mention residents and APs who live outside of the Orlando area. The decision probably wouldn't have received such bad "press" if one of the days was a Saturday or Sunday.

May it's their way of getting people to by the pass hopper option on their tickets and head to MK or Epcot.....
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thought... making it only two days pretty much means they are going to be drawing attendance to that park on those days... if I have only a few days down there and the show in only on 1 of those days... guess which day I'm gonna be there.
DylansDisneyDad
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Disney is less interested in the "hands off" visitor. By that, I mean, they seem to want people who want to plan, over plan, and have a highly developed touring schedule. Aside from the dining plans, the bus service and the limited "Fantasmic" showings, they may be a part of the realization that when we are down there, we don't have a lot of time to seek out the entertaining "Pluses" (as Walt would say). Even as recently as a few years ago, we happened onto a number of these little gems and stopped to take them in. Is it good business or bad business to end them, or limit them? It matters not. It's our new reality...Bummer!

club33az
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Man, the parks are going to seem a little empty with all of these cuts...

It will be even emptier because it's the off-season. Not as many people at the parks this time of year. Thus the cut back in entertainment offering. That's nothing new with Disney Parks. That's been happening since I was a kid.

And onecutemoose has totally nailed this. If there's no crowd, there's cut backs in entertainment. The guests that have these shows high on their "must do" list should find out when they are performing and schedule accordingly.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what is being said here. Now, every trip, I have an Excel spreadsheet that includes daily park hours, when/where we have ADR/PS and any other reservations for shows/events and then the shows we want to be sure to hit.

I will admit I did a bit of laying into DLR yesterday in a survey about APs. I brought up many of the points folks have been making---that the pluses are no longer in the parks. This is true for APs as well...all the pluses that really made being an AP fun no longer exist either. It really burned me to see what they are thinking of adding as a "plus" which in reality is only a mechanism to help them make another buck easier. Argh!

As DDD said, it's our new reality. I still enjoy the Parks. I'm still counting down the nine days until I'm at WDW again. I'm excited to make my PS for Disneyland in December...I miss what the Parks once were...and hope optimistically for the future.

: )
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was bad enough to have to plan a meal 6 months in advance...

One of the goals of a vacation is to relax and "go with the flow". I can see rushing a lunch to make the parade, or skipping a ride to make it to "the next show". But as they make shows like this more scarce, they require folks to do more planning of their entire day to get something like this in.

And, Disney, I'm sorry, but if I wanted to have to do all this work - why would I pay to travel all the way to Florida to do it. And I sure don't want to have to break out my laptop to plan my days events when I'm on vacation. It is enough of a pain to have to do it at work, but they at least pay me for it. Not suck me dry for the pleasure.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts...i actually enjoy planning my vacation--plopping down our dining choices that fit with our entertainment schedules and seeing a week of good times set out.

Walt Disney World is huge. I have known so many folks that go with the no planning philosophy and return saying they couldn't figure out what to do since there were too many options and they felt they missed out on a lot.

I love the anticipation of planning...and then going to the parks knowing when I should be where. This doesn't take away from the care-free vacation feeling at all. We just don't miss out on the things we want to do...and make sure we eat at least one solid meal a day--which keeps us all in good spirits.

The planning is part of the fun...creating a feeling of anticipation of what is to come. This is not to say we stick to it 100%...we've been known to change a dining reservation once we arrive and we're a-ok with it. At least we have something in the works rather than being shut out of the things we really want to do...like dining, special events and shows that are in limited showings.

Guess it's different stokes for different folks!

MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan Disney trips for my family and friends, and myself, and Fantasmic id just 1 more thing to make sure to work into the mix. It's a shame... and I dont know why it's so limited, but I guess I understand. Maybe at some point it'll be back as strong as ever.

I love to make plans for my trips, but honestly... like WDWFan said 6 months advance planning for a meal may be a bit much.

Keep in mind though... we probably arent the "typical" Disney World travelers here.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. maybe I'm going about this wrong. maybe I should be providing the dates, things we want to do and let the UAB folks make the plans for me. Now THAT would be a stress reliever.
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me only the first planning endeavor took the work...i use the same templates and we always make a list of places we want to eat next time on our current trip...then we don't have to think too much...just look at what we decided to try next time or do again.

I agree the 0400 call six months out to do the Advanced Dining is the most difficult...but seriously...Cinderella's Table, Le Cellier...so worth it!

I too help out friends, co-workers and family with their trips. Even if it's not fully planned with tips and calls to make sure they too can see what they want to see!

It's all about the experience...and a little planning goes a LONG way in my book!

As for Fantasmic! I think we're going to do the dessert seating at DLR in December...and we already have our dining package for WDW. Good to go!

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for those of you who are fans of Return2Zero:

Return2Zero at Sea World

That's right! Return2Zero (aka Four for a Dollar) is starting today 11/13/08, at Sea World. We will be singing 4-5 sets, Thursday through Monday outside the Polar Express Experience. The run will last until January 4. Come check it out!

Source: WDWMagic; http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=373262

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, something else I found interesting.... more Disney people at Sea World...

Did you know that Randy Holbrook (lead guitar for Off Kilter) also performs at Sea World?! He is a member of the Shamu Rocks musicians when the show is performed. I did not know that! http://www.randyholbrook.com/gigs/gigs.htm
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems reasonable that many area folks with an entertainment background would be working multiple "gigs" at the popular entertainment venues. And I'd think Sea World would ruffle less feathers than Universal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: