Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Pleasure Island - Nooooo!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Pleasure Island - Nooooo!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to put together a trip for Labor Day weekend for deb and I...maybe we can try and get something together for that weekend.

CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Jim Hill, Night Kingdom is also a no go.

I only went to the Adventurers Club once. I must have been having a truly horrendous day because I went into the main room and nothing was happening. After 10 minutes I went into a room covered with masks. (My brother and his girlfreind who both work at WDW took me) Nothing was happening there either. I went upstairs. Empty as a funeral parlour at 2:00 am.

I know some kind of good entertainment was there because my sister loves it but all I saw was a bunch of drinkers and drunks. I always wondered what happened to keep them in the back room when I showed up.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shows stop about midnight. Each room has something happening at certain times. The room with the masks (The Mask Room) has shows at different times, as does the Main Salon and the Treasure Room. The Library is the main entertainment room where all the BIG shows happen. If you want to know what's happening or where to go, just ask a castmember.

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavenStGermaine wrote:
My mom and I have been discussing this, and we've decided they should re-open the AC at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Now if only Disney would listen to us. Razz

This is just where I thought it should go as well...having not visited, I did not think it my right to make the assumption it would be appropriate there....but it seems like a great spot to me---other than the fact transport to and from isn't as easy as from DTD.

I think they could have AC--adults only without having an adults only "area". At DTD in SoCal there is the Uva Bar--no kids allowed and the bar areas of the restaurants where children are not permitted.

I dunno...I guess I don't know overall public interest--is it busy on week nights or only weekends--in the end to keep something going there needs to be a good look at the bottom line. As I said before--we are the fans, we'd like to keep everything for sentimentality sake---but the business is going to be looking at the bottom line so they can keep the place running.

anywhoo......

: )
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's interesting in some light reading, I posted my favorite Pleasure Island story up on my blog: http://blogtholomew.blogspot.com/2008/07/bye-pleasure-island.html.

Enjoy. I'm new at this blogging/writing thing, so all comments are welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:
If anyone's interesting in some light reading, I posted my favorite Pleasure Island story up on my blog: http://blogtholomew.blogspot.com/2008/07/bye-pleasure-island.html.

Enjoy. I'm new at this blogging/writing thing, so all comments are welcome.

:::edited to remove full link:::

I love Blogger...

Great memory to post, too! I guess PI and the AC have really touched many folks through the years!

Last edited by onecutemoose on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not every post on my blog is 100% family-friendly, so I wanted to drill down into the specific blog itself. It didn't work b/c it added the period on the end of the link.

I think this one should work: http://blogtholomew.blogspot.com/2008/07/bye-pleasure-island.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:
Yeah, not every post on my blog is 100% family-friendly, so I wanted to drill down into the specific blog itself. It didn't work b/c it added the period on the end of the link.

I think this one should work: http://blogtholomew.blogspot.com/2008/07/bye-pleasure-island.html

I edited out the blog link from my previous post.

Perhaps if I have a minute for just browsing I'll see what else other fans of PI/AC have posted around the net. I've never visited PI so I don't really know much.

RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:

What a great memory! I celebrated my 18th birthday at PI. I got all nostalgic and pulled out the pics a few days ago. All I could think was "What the heck was I wearing?!" Laughing In one pic, that giant Jessica Rabbit sign with the swinging leg was in the background. I had forgotten all about that. It would be hard for me to pick just one memory as my favorite, but you can bet it would be from the AC.
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks. I guess it's sad but true. R.I.P. P.I.Crying or Very sad

While it's been a looooonngggg time since I was there, I can tell you that there is
something that will always stay with me.

Maybe it was the diversity of the clubs, the variety of music, or just the atmosphere
of the place that could put you in a totally different mindspace. Of course, the AC
was my favorite; I 'm a sucker for good old-fashioned entrtainment after all,
still, I thought all the other clubs had their own charm and were good enough to
spend a night out.

Well, until NK gets up and going, (and hopefully going well), here's to the memory
of yet another good Disney gone before it's time. Peace.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamscape just made a post that documents that Disney is actually losing money on the Adventurer's Club. This is one of the main reasons why the AdvClub can not be saved.... Crying or Very sad

You can read the bad news here: http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm#Downtown
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More rumors from Screamscape regarding Pleasure Island. They say that Universal may be looking at giving free City Wall Annual Passed to Disney Pleasure Island passholders. I can see Universal doing this and thinking it is a good idea. I doubt that there would be more than just a few people who would do this, most PI APs (like other AP and PAP holders) were only going for the Comedy Club and AdvClub.

Now, if Universal wanted to do an AdvClub... then people may head that way... but other than that, I doubt it is going to increase the City Walk numbers much.

According to the Screamscape rumor mill, Universal Orlando is mulling over a concept or two to help lure in all those disconnected Pleasure Island refugees once the PI clubs go dark after September 27th. Nothing has been approved or finalize, but from what I’ve been told they may go so far as to offer a free Citwalk Annual Pass to anyone with a useless PI pass. Keep your eyes open for more details if this idea comes to pass.

Source: Screamscape; http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_orlando.htm

What do you think? If you had the option of getting a few City Walk AP replace your PI AP, would you?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good move for Universal. Get them on-site and then it may start looking like a place more folks want to spend longer. Then at AP renewal time, folks have more incentive to consider a universal alternative. Will it most of the AP's... probably not, but if it gets some it is still a win for them. And with PI closed, not much Disney can do to counter it.

Well Disney could raise prices again, but I doubt that will counter it much... Or offer more perks like in other areas - free golf. After all nothing like playing a round or two from 10-2 when you would otherwise be out at a club
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this article, it's about everyone's favorite AdvClub drink and the worlds most popular video game: http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/09/09/kungaloosh-drink-honors-disneys-adventurers-club/
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to learn more about the Adventurer's Club, then check out this post over at the 2719 Hyperion Blog.

The blog has been posting excerpts from the Adventurer's Almanac for a while, but the important item is towards the bottom of the post:

On Saturday afternoon, October 4, 2008, Jim will do a presentation entitled “Kungaloosh! The Mythology and Reality of the Adventurer’s Club” at the National Fantasy Fan Club Convention in Orlando, held at the Regal Sun Resort on Hotel Plaza Boulevard near Downtown Disney. Jim has spent months researching the creation of the Adventurer’s Club and will be revealing not only the story of the mythology of Merriweather Pleasure (and the revised Pleasure story from 1992 designed to tie-in with New Year’s Eve), stories of the characters and how they evolved and why some disappeared, secrets of the physical club itself (including the hidden Joe Rohde references) and much more. That same evening will be a special three hour dinner for the NFFC attendees at the Adventurer’s Club with Jim sharing even more information he couldn’t fit into his presentation. For more information, go to www.nffc.org or call 863-427-2858.

Source: 2719 Hyperion Blog; http://www.2719hyperion.com/2008/09/story-of-adventurers-almanac.html

Man, this is a major bummer! We will be heading back to Georgia to see our new nephew for the first time... Hmmm, maybe I can come up with an excuse to stay behind and head to this event, I would love to go to it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: