Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Adventurer's Club Closing?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Adventurer's Club Closing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Adventurer's Club Closing? Reply with quote

I've heard things, so this isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/02/14/will-wdw-s-adventurers-club-soon-be-marching-along-to-a-new-location-somewhere-else-on-property.aspx
napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first response to this was "no way!!".
But after reading the article - why not? Actually sounds pretty exciting.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'm sold on a night time park that has such a small number of people allowed in it.... Especially when it can be "bought" by groups or conventions and be sold out for months at a time....

And what would be the point of moving the AdvClub from it's current venue to a place where only a handful of people can hang out all night long... The only reason why I think Disney would consider this is because the AdvClub has a ravenous following and they don't want it at DTD anymore....

I am not sold on the night time park and I really don't like the idea of moving the AdvClub to a park....

In the immortal words of Smeagol "no....no....not listening....!"
eatmon74

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued but not sure I would not rather see somthing else. The DNK does not sound like an experiance that I would want to repeat all that often. Using the Adv. Club as a buffer as you check in to DNK seems like a waste also. So say it does cost $250 - $300 per person I think I would use that money towards an AP over a one night experiance.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As interesting as this sounds, I highly doubt that I'd dish out an EXTRA $750 for a 1 day experience when I can get almost as much fun for the cost of an AP and a few ADR's. And taking the AC and using it as a check-in? What a waste.

I think they are not thinking. With the admission prices as high as they are, I don't see that many people doing this on a regular basis. I get the PAP so I can hit PI and DQ and all, but if they remove PI from the map, why would I bother with the pass.

They'd be better served with a 5th gate to justify the current ticket prices, not a specialty park for an additional cost.

jahosifatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play Devi's Advocate here (and Devil's Advocate only), Sea World's Discovery Cove has been a massive success for the park. So much that they are currently developing one for the West Coast. Perhaps there is that demand for a more specialized, less crowded park?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
To play Devi's Advocate here (and Devil's Advocate only), Sea World's Discovery Cove has been a massive success for the park. So much that they are currently developing one for the West Coast. Perhaps there is that demand for a more specialized, less crowded park?

Going along with your argument (not arguing, just a response), Sea World is a 1-2 Day destination, with a gate price that is...reasonable. Adding Discovery Cove adds another day to the resort, so now it's a 2-3 day destination. WDW is a "as many day destination as you want" resort, with a high gate price. Now add MORE (ie high) cost for 1 additional day...just not economically feasible as I see it. Also remember that you have "Extra Magic Hours" for those "limited attendance" times.

Again, this is my own personal opinion. I'd be rather upset at the closing of The Club and PI as a whole, and would have little to no interest in this new gate.

jahosifatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree whole-heartedly Senor Poo Razz
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see moving the club. PI is not what it once was. Closing down a dying part of the business and keeping a popular part by relocating seems to me to just make good sense.

It is the tying it into a new theme park bit that has me curious.

Seems like the club is a natural for a stand -alone.

Tying it into the the park works great for the 2000 guests going into the night park, but not so hot for all the other folks.

As to the concept of the night park. From what I read it seems a lot like AK at night, where they allow you to get up close and personal.

But to go with the spouse is $500+. That is $500 that could go a long way in other areas, so take lots of pics folks to share, cause, I ain't gonna be there in person.
SGT623
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't look for the Kloob to close anytime soon. The place is a cash cow for special events before opening and still ranks in the dough during normal hours at it's current location. P.I. still has a few changes coming but all words I hear are that the Adv. Club is not a part of it. Actually, there have been so many rumors around P.I. of late, we should start a rumor list to keep track of it. I'll list a few I've heard

- BET will be the next club to go as there contract is about up and the place is a ghost town every night except Fri & Sat night and even then...meh

- The long empty building next to the Adventures' Club and across from Curl is going to be a Mexican Restaurant

- The very old rumor of a cosmic bowling alley coming to PI (BTW I visited the one in Chicago and I HOPE this one comes true)

- Not Island related but a second Adventures' Club to open in Tokyo

Who else wants to add to the list?
Incredibles
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm glad that they are adding restaurants to the area, (like T-Rex), simply because there are only a couple restaurants at DD that don't cost $20 or more per plate. That being said, is it worth getting rid of the clubs to do so? Probably not. Just get rid of the over abundance of clubs and bring your supply down a little bit to the demand. Don't demolish the whole PI idea, modifiy and tweak it. That's what Walt would do first.

If Adventurer's Club is so popular, market off of it. Or better yet, create another entity along the same lines and see how it does.

As far as Night Kingdom, I personally think it sounds great, but not at a destination where the original vision was to cater to FAMILY entertainment. The whole family. It sounds like this new park would eventually become a corporate destination for functions and team building, not entertaining John Doe and his family who can only afford a WDW trip once every 5 or 10 years. And only open 8 hours a day? With Florida afternoon and evening rain, that means that it will function properly about 65% of the time. I doubt alligators and monkeys and rock walls will cater to your demands on that tyoe of production.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading the rumors about the restaurants that may come in, including T-Rex, I wouldn't expect any lower prices then what is already out there. These type of places are premium restaurants and I don't think they will be any cheaper.

I wish they would have a better counter or quick server option, other than McDonalds. i used to like going to the Missing Link at PI, but that's been gone for a while. Not a huge or expansive place, but a smaller quick service restaurant. Doing chicken sandwhiches or burgers, just like in the parks.

If anyone is going to know about the AdvClub closing, it's going to be SGT... If it closed, he would have to leave a forwarding address Wink

Hoopla!
SGT623
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:

If anyone is going to know about the AdvClub closing, it's going to be SGT... If it closed, he would have to leave a forwarding address Wink

Hoopla!

I'm not packing anytime soon. Smile On the way there now! KUNGALOOSH!
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGT623 wrote:
daguru wrote:

Hoopla!

I'm not packing anytime soon. Smile On the way there now! KUNGALOOSH!

Kungaloosh for us too!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one of the local news organizations has picked up on these rumors. Suprisingly it is WFTV, the local ABC affiliate (ABC is owned by Disney, incase you didn't know). Very interesting article:

Quote:
Disney Exploring Possibility Of Adult-Oriented Theme Park
POSTED: 7:08 am EDT March 14, 2008
UPDATED: 10:22 am EDT March 14, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Disney is exploring the possibility of building a new theme park geared toward adults. Channel Nine has confirmed Disney has drawn up plans for a park called "Night Kingdom."

Nearly 10 years after Disney opened Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World, there is word the entertainment giant is looking at building another theme park in Central Florida. Speculation about what "Night Kingdom" will entail is rampant on the Internet and among employees at the parks.

Park employees say a secret project is being prepped on land just north of Animal Kingdom where food is currently grown for the animals. The project is supposedly going to be a nighttime attraction. But internet bloggers claim if the park is built, it would be adjacent to the Pleasure Island nightclub area.

An Eyewitness News source confirmed this would be a smaller park geared toward adults. It would be more specialized and more expensive than other Disney parks. Much like Sea World's Discovery Cove, a source says it would include more hands-on experiences. Bloggers say that would include nocturnal animals.

In a Disney investors' meeting last year, Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo hinted at exploring such a park, calling it a "niche" park that would serve a smaller audience in a more intimate setting.

An inside source tells Eyewitness News the original plans have been put on hold but a core group of planners may be going back to the drawing board.

Source; WFTV.com: http://www.wftv.com/news/15592397/detail.html

Is it just me or does it sound like the reporter read the Jim Hill article and found a few CMs who also read the article? I like how the report took the rumored closing and rebuilding of the AdvClub to mean that the new park could be built at PI.... HAHAHAHA!

Although, I do agree is the part where they said the idea was cancelled. It was probably something that came up in a brainstorming session or someone initially thought might be a good idea, only to be shot down by Mgmt/Imagineering.

Oh, BTW, another way to show how this rumor won't die, even IMDB has posted this bit of "investigative journalism": http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#film4

HAHAHAH.... silly people... must have been a slow news day Friday Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: