Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island???

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island??? Reply with quote

http://imdb.com/news/sb/2006-10-04/#2

Oh joy, What was once a dopey article over at miceage.com is now a full public eye argument...

I wouldnt hold too much stock in this just yet....Its weird though..I'm kind of torn and can make arguments for and against this...My main argument to do it...in a nutshell...is that the youth of today is a lot more lost on the stories of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn then those in 1956 and there's a greater disconnection...Today's Families can identify more with Family friendly Pirates then Huck Finn....

Unfortunately that's my only arguement for it.

On the against side I can go on and on...all without bringing "Disneyland tradition" into the equation...A lot of which would have to do with the age old question of theming which unfortunately Disneyland is LARGELY losing touch with.
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island??? Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
A lot of which would have to do with the age old question of theming which unfortunately Disneyland is LARGELY losing touch with.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with that 100%.

And don't take this personally, but I can't stand the "the sky is falling" mentality that plagues the really crazed Disney fans every single time they make any kind of change in one of Disney's parks.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the premise of a Pirate Island is cool, taking away more of Frontierland is not good. There's nothing left there and that's just one more thing gone.

Maybe in WDW, except that it's too far away to theme properly, but not in Disneyland.

aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

word, david. word.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to wait and see... I personally think the fact that kids today relate more to pirates than Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn says alot about kids today. Unfortuantely I don't think that is a good thing. I think the main attraction of the island is:
A place for the kids to let loose and run around, and the fort and caves.

All could be reworked into a pirate theme very nicely. I'd pose it from the perspective, do we NEED more pirate. If they were to re do the island, isn't there a third alternative that might be better than either Pirates or Twain?
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island??? Reply with quote

DaParkMan wrote:
theEpiphany wrote:
A lot of which would have to do with the age old question of theming which unfortunately Disneyland is LARGELY losing touch with.

And don't take this personally, but I can't stand the "the sky is falling" mentality that plagues the really crazed Disney fans every single time they make any kind of change in one of Disney's parks.

I'm not taking it personally...not at all...I think I dislike Miceage reporting it more than anything...I'm often the one that defends disney when this "sky is falling" mentality comes to pass". I agree with you on that sentiment whole heartedly...One of MANY reasons I no longer hang out any other Disney sites anymore...and another reason why I'm thinking of leaving a mailing list I'm subscribed to.

Unfortunately its a fact that Disneyland's theming is indeed suffering ..at least in connection with where they originally were in years past. Those who know me know I wont Gripe unless I can back it up with ample facts. I dont believe in it and I think anyone who just gripes (which is dang near ever hardcore nut that you find in the parks these days) is justs looking for something...ANYTHING to complain about.

On the subject of degrading theming.....

I can begin with Costuming...Merchandise...Attraction Subject Matter..."Land Specific Entertainment and Focal Points"?

Where would you like to go today? Smile Smile Smile

Last edited by theEpiphany on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Have to wait and see... I personally think the fact that kids today relate more to pirates than Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn says alot about kids today. Unfortuantely I don't think that is a good thing. I think the main attraction of the island is:
A place for the kids to let loose and run around, and the fort and caves.

All could be reworked into a pirate theme very nicely. I'd pose it from the perspective, do we NEED more pirate. If they were to re do the island, isn't there a third alternative that might be better than either Pirates or Twain?

Unfortunately..I blame the parents more than the kids...In a day of convenience and "your way fast" mentalities...Parents seem to take less and less time with their kids...Not in all cases but in many.

Watching parents "care" (or more often..not care) for their kids in the parks is entertainment in itself.
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Sawyer Island becoming Pirate Island??? Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
DaParkMan wrote:
theEpiphany wrote:

I'm not taking it personally...not at all...I think I dislike Miceage reporting it more than anything...I'm often the one that defends disney when this "sky is falling" mentality comes to pass". I agree with you on that sentiment whole heartedly...One of MANY reasons I no longer hang out any other Disney sites anymore...and another reason why I'm thinking of leaving a mailing list I'm subscribed to.

Unfortunately its a fact that Disneyland's theming is indeed suffering ..at least in connection with where they originally were in years past. Those who know me know I wont Gripe unless I can back it up with ample facts. I dont believe in it and I think anyone who just gripes (which is dang near ever hardcore nut that you find in the parks these days) is justs looking for something...ANYTHING to complain about.

On the subject of degrading theming.....

I can begin with Costuming...Merchandise...Attraction Subject Matter..."Land Specific Entertainment and Focal Points"?

Where would you like to go today? Smile Smile Smile

At least the theming in the park isn't suffering completely.

And any suffering that's going on right now will eventually come to an end. Just be optimistic.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before it gets better..we have to see about not opening up pixar EVERYTHING at the parks. It's better than where it was 5 years ago that's for sure.
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, its a real shame that they didn't follow through on the "Little Mermaid" attraction (that is displayed in the new DVD release). It looked like a really nice dark ride and would go well in Fantasyland. I think it would be better suited for WDW, but it wouldn't hurt in Disneyland (maybe over by Toontown).

It's ideas like that that are kept on the shelves while the character/movie of the day gets more attention.

DisneyKat2003
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about this on yesterday's morning news....I have mixed emotions about it.
As a child, I loved going over to TS Island..the caves, the fort and especially the bridges...all the bridges! Now as an adult with grown kids, I have not gone over there for awhile.
Would I like to see it changed to a pirate theme? Um....maybe...maybe not.
Other attractions that have become old and worn have been replaced or changed in the past and as Walt said "Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination left in the world".
So my final verdict: I would like to see what they have in mind!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally wrote... I personally think the fact that kids today relate more to pirates than Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn says alot about kids today. Unfortuantely I don't think that is a good thing.

theEpiphany replied...
Unfortunately..I blame the parents more than the kids...In a day of convenience and "your way fast" mentalities...Parents seem to take less and less time with their kids...Not in all cases but in many.

In followup:
I totally agree It is the parents, and that is more the shame. I intentionally didn't include what it says about kids today, but I personally believe the kids are being done a big disservice by not giving them the parenting they deserve. (And it is not all, there are still a lot of good parents out there, it is just easier to see the poor ones)
aptaproductions
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some things that you don't touch. they already killed the new Orleans square feel with that crappy pirate band. igar is doing a bad job if he lets this happen.
A Look Into All Things Disney
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt go as high as Iger in this regard....This isnt high enough and his input is little because he leaves it to those that are SUPPOSED to be doing their jobs instead of micro managing EVERYTHING (Badly). He's got bigger fish to fry than a small changeover to the themeparks.

ONE thing doesnt make it so someone is doing a bad job, in fact quite the contrary Iger is doing a fantastic job thus far. Which is funny. One thing can make a bad CEO in some people's eyes, but One Good thing goes overlooked entirely. Like the 12 or so Hotels that opened at WDW as part of Eisner's regime, the expansion of WDW etc...Like him or not there WERE good ideas that trickled down from Eisner's brain..Unfortunately his time had run through and he seemed overly power happy. Parts of this will still trickle out from time to time as the company flushes out various projects that are now being finished that were originally started under him. Heck even "Meet the Robinsons"

Despite what people think the CEO is not directly responsible for EVERYTHING. Since Eisner's no longer in office..Its the person..not the position... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the caves and bridges and things of that nature would stay, maybe redone a little and relabeled.... then add or modify some of the exisiting structures to pirates....

I think the "interactive pirate museum" sound interesting, especially since that was what PotC was originally supposed to be....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: