Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Bring Back Classic Rides!!!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Bring Back Classic Rides!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Bring Back Classic Rides!!! Reply with quote

Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Small World, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Spaceship Earth, Great Movie Ride, Peter Pan's Flight, People Mover, Carousel of Progr.... the list continues forever.

Why do we all know and love these rides? They are ORIGINAL!!! Some maybe based of movies but each has their own unique style and isn't a stupid way to publize the movie.
(Stitch's Great Escape and Monster's Inc.)

POTC and HM are the classic of all classics. Yet their plots have nothing to do with Disney. Maybe that's why their so sucessful. They aren't fed off of some Disney film. I'm not saying that people don't like Disney rides (why else would you go to a Disney park) but it appeals to everyone no matter who you are. You know what I mean?

Pixar and the Pirates movie is way over done!!! I don't have to even say it, we are all thinking it.

Disney is only trying to play it safe now by tagging on with a successful movie. Why? My guess is because of Mission Space. It was a bit of a blow on the company and Imagineering to create something as far out as that and not having people being receptive of it. I love Mission Space but you can't deny the accidents that occured on it.

Disney!!! Face facts! You are disappointing you're true fans. Start the changes NOW!!!!

I'm a young student who wants to work for Imagineering one day and I PROMISE!!!! I'll Bring back that classic style of rides we all have grown to love!!!
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that we need more rides like Soarin' Over California and Tower of Terror, and less rides like Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Stitch's Great Escape.

That said, I think what we need is more of a balance between the two. When people go to a Disney theme park (particularly a Magic Kingdom style park) they expect to see the characters and the movies. But Disney can't forget to also include the more original rides. I think part of the problem has been Disney's tendancy to quickly retheme existing spaces with movie attractions (like Monsters Inc and Stitch mentioned above).

When they build it from scratch, it comes out much better. I think that Buzz Lightyear has succeeded (and that Toy Story Mania will succeed) because they started from scratch and have good theming and interesting/new technology.
Incredibles
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree that the originals are by far the best, it also harkens back to the fact that for the majority of us, the originals bring back a since of nastalgia. They are incredible, don't get me wrong. But more than likely, Walt would be trying to also add in the attractions that do include the charcters and such. He would cater to what the people want (to a degree).

The younger generation now has multimedia, something kids didn't have as much of back in the 50's and 60's. So kids now see the characters and shows they like on TV, movies, internet, and that means they want to see them at the parks where they "live". I'm sure that in 30 years, alot of the atttractions we think are less than stellar will mean alot to the younger generation (provided those attractions last that long!)
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. I've been kind of on a tear recently whenever I"m asked a question about Disney, (I'm sort of the resident afficiando in my family), anyway I always get prodded when news of a new ride or attraction is announced at DL out here. IMHO I do think that when it comes to putting together new experiences at the parks that the 'classic' style criteria should apply; original storyline, original characters, latest technology. This can only insure that ANY new Disney creation will be well received by the public. As far as basing these atractions on familiar Disney properties is concerned, how well they might have been received at the box office shouldn't determine their future sucess as an attraction; case in point Alice in Wonderland, Third Man on the Mountain, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. All these films initially weren't hits and yet have led to some of THEE most popular rides at the parks. Let's just hope that if the company really wants to reclaim its place as the top entertaiment entity in the world they'll try and let their creative juices step outside themselves once in a while and bring back that 'classic' Disney style. Later, peace.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkereye123 wrote:
, how well they might have been received at the box office shouldn't determine their future sucess as an attraction; case in point Alice in Wonderland, Third Man on the Mountain, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. All these films initially weren't hits and yet have led to some of THEE most popular rides at the parks. Let's just hope that if the company really wants to reclaim its place as the top entertaiment entity in the world they'll try and let their creative juices step outside themselves once in a while and bring back that 'classic' Disney style. Later, peace.

Good point! I never thought of it that way.
foxer76
Baggage Screener
Baggage Screener

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the older attractions like Imagination may have been too complicated and required too much mainenance unfortunately. When you look at the old Imagination, it was SO COOL! It was a nice long ride, with mystery, and all kinds of bells and whistles. All the special effects lighting, animatronic creatures and things that had movement. Now.. unfortunately, we have something that looks like it it was designed for kindergarden kids. Simple, easy to fix, no problem. It is such a shame due to the unique character that only Disney attractions once had! We still get impressive new rides, but not like the old. EPCOT used to all about science and education, most of the education has gone out the window, and we have more attractions for ACTION. People used to gripe about the educational value, and teens thought it was "boring". However I think it had more of a greater effect on people that they realized. Adults still appreciated it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: