Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Has anyone read:

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Has anyone read:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Has anyone read: Reply with quote

I am looking at a set of books to take to WDW in a few weeks and I'm looking for some UAB opinions. Has anyone read any of the below, and would you recommend or not recommend them:
    It's Kind of a Cute Story- Rolly Crump
    Dream It! Do It! - Marty Sklar
    Amber Earns Her Ears - Amber Sewell
    In Service To The Mouse - Jack Lindquist
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the Marty Sklar book right now. Very good so far. I love the insider viewpoints about the planning for EPCOT...ºoº
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Never heard of these books. Looks like I'll be getting some books to read once I finish my CPA exams.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Kind of a Cute Story- Rolly Crump
Was a cute story, but does not tie together very well. sort of like sitting at a table over coffee and someone saying "I remember a time when...". Fun to hear the stories, but you get a feel there are pieces missing.

Dream It! Do It! - Marty Sklar
In the middle of this one, and mixed opinion. The stories are for the most part new, but a lot of what is talked about is meaningless. He mentions he worked with person A a rep for Company B. and then never mentions that person again or why we would care who that person was. It has no significants to the story other than to mention a name.

Amber Earns Her Ears - Amber Sewell
Liked this one. You get a feel for how the CP program can be both good or bad depending on your roommates and your job assignments.

In Service To The Mouse - Jack Lindquist
Have not read this one yet.

Anyone have any good recommendations?
CAIRat
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mouse Tales books by David Koenig are pretty darn good.
'00 - Studios Merch (Stage 1/Tatooine Traders/Coaster Photo/Fantasmic), '05-'06 - Attractions (KSR), Dinoland Merch, '06-'07 - Concierge (Multiple Resorts), '07-'08 - Dream Squad (Aminal Kingdom), '10 - DVC Member Services
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Mouse Tales, More Mouse Tales and Realityland. He does a great job. I keep hoping he will do a book on some of hte lter parks.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Does anyone else have a favorite Disney book they want to recommend?
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an inside look at the Eisner era 'Disney War' does a great job. Be warned it is a big book and a long but enjoyable read if the business side of the mouse interest you.

I also enjoyed 'Walt south of the Boarder' I think is the title. It's about his trip to south America in th late 30th
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan is spot on with "It's Kind of a Cute Story" - there's little structure to it but a long series of anecdotes about Rolly C.'s struggles of fitting in at the studio and life with Walt (as well as outside of Disney). Despite the structure issues, it's a fascinating book as you pick up little nuggets here and there. Side note: I got to meet Rolly Crump once and he was the nicest man I ever met.

Love the Mouse Tales books.

I've plan to look for the "South of the Border" book - I saw the documentary on Walt's trip south. It was absolutely fascinating.

Got to brag for a moment: One of my most coveted possessions is "The Nickel Tour" - I plunked down $300 for it back in the late 90s (my wife almost killed me). It is one of the most fascinating park histories I've ever read. Every year I wish they would reissue it!

Lastly (I'm sort of all over the place like Mr. Crump), I've read Gabler's ultimate biography "Triumph of the American Imagination" twice. It's extremely long and painstakingly detailed. So much so, I actually found myself getting choked up when it got to the section where Walt passed, which I think is a testament to how well Gabler immerses you in his life.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Vault of Walt" is not bad, but depending on your Disney lore knowldege, much of it may be stuff you already know.
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me once that a book was written - it was something like an episode guide for the Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color/Disney's Wonderful World shows. They were describing that each episode contained trivia about the filming and whatnot. Unfortunately I couldn't recall the name and I've never been able to find anything like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: