Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - New Disneyland fuel station cuts gas emissions

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

New Disneyland fuel station cuts gas emissions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: New Disneyland fuel station cuts gas emissions Reply with quote

New Disneyland fuel station cuts gas emissions

Disneyland Resort already takes advantage of alternative fuels, using compressed natural gas for trams and powering its train with used cooking oil.

Now, the resort has the ability to use even more compressed natural gas (CNG) with a new fueling station that opened earlier this month.

The new station increases the resort’s storage by more than 50 percent, increasing the capacity for future uses.

The station was built to accommodate the 16 guest parking trams that were converted to CNG in December. With the conversion, the resort annually cuts out the need for 56,000 gallons of diesel, helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The trams had diesel-hybrid engines for the previous 10 years.

“The program really is in evolution right now. It’s a very clean fuel and provides us with other opportunities that wouldn’t have otherwise been available to us,” said Frank Dela Vara, director of environmental affairs and conservation at the Disneyland Resort.

Disney partially paid for the station with a $200,000 state grant for Clean Transportation Funding from the Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Review Committee. The committee’s money comes from a $4 motor vehicle registration fee enacted in 1990.

In addition to the trams, CNG fuels several Disneyland attractions: Columbia Sailing Ship, Tom Sawyer Island Rafts, Jungle Cruise boats and Main Street U.S.A. vehicles.

Used cooking oil powers the Disneyland Railroad train and the Mark Twain Riverboat. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage vehicles have electric engines.

Source: OCRegister; http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/26/new-disneyland-fuel-station-cuts-gas-emissions/22639/

That sounds really cool... I know they have been playing with the natural gas here at WDW, I wonder if they have any plans to convert the current bus and tram fleets... Of course, I think we all agree that MK's Indy Raceway needs to be converted to something quieter and more odor pleasant....

One interesting thing I read was about the trains running on used cooking oil... check thi link for more details: http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/01/28/disneyland-trains-running-on-oil-from-fries-and-chicken/5000/
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Indy raceway needs a change, but I keep hoping "Replacement" comes to mind over "refurbish".

Using more NG at WDW would truly make a difference. Particularly with that huge fleet of buses. It is a shame they could not do something more forward looking than buses, but guess there are some limitations that just have to be dealt with.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they transfer the old engines on the vehicles on Main Street?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question...did they even try to change those?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: