Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney to upgrade Castaway Cay

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney to upgrade Castaway Cay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Cruise Line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Disney to upgrade Castaway Cay Reply with quote

Island happy Disney unveils Castaway Cay additions

CASTAWAY CAY, Bahamas - Disney Cruise Line is preparing for a population surge on its private island.

The upcoming doubling of its fleet entails bigger ships and thus more passengers waiting to play for a day on the shores of its 1,000-acre resort.

The expansion plan calls for more than just setting out hundreds of additional lounge chairs and extending the dock.

"We're out here undertaking the improvements for the new ships," says Mark Cole of Walt Disney Imagineering. "There's no reason we shouldn't step back and say 'What opportunity do we have to make this one of the most magical experiences at sea?'"

Among the amenities on tap for Castaway Cay: an expanded family beach, more water-based recreation, more convenient eating options and 20 private cabanas — from which guests literally can flag down a bartender.

Guests here currently have many relaxation options — snorkeling, bicycling, hiking, a ray-interaction experience, massages and welcoming beach umbrellas and chairs. The Flying Dutchman ship used in the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest rests in the lagoon. Another unique-to-Disney amenity is that passengers walk straight from the ship to the dock — no tendering necessary. The atmosphere maintains a natural island theme with only low-key references to Disney characters.

One of the goals of the construction, set to be finished by next summer, is to spread out the guests, who usually hit the first patch of sand they see.

"It's just human nature when you go to the beach," Cole says. "They want to claim their place so the kids know where they're coming back to."

Disney is adding a tram stop farther down the coastline from its current hub to encourage folks to settle there. A new eatery, bar, bathrooms and merchandise outlets, similar to those already in existence, are being built nearby. To complement the current food outlet named Cookies, another restaurant with the same menu is planned. Its name will be Cookies Too.

"If I'm going to go from 2,700 guests to 4,000 guests, transportation is a critical piece," says Disney Cruise Line President Karl Holz.

The expansion of the 1,000-foot family beach by 700 feet will be achieved by the relocation of the stingray experience and teen getaway area.

The majority of the private cabanas will face the family beach, with a handful at Serenity Bay, the adults-only beach. The floored structures will have covered areas, decks, refrigerators, dining tables and chairs, lounge chairs, lockable storage and outdoor fresh-water showers. They're designed to hold six people.

Cabana rental rates have not been set, Disney officials say, but there will be at least three tiers of service available, including one with a personal host.

"On the front of the cabana is a flagpole," says Ozer Balli, vice president of hotel operations for the cruise line. "You can actually raise a flag — depending on your package purchased — to get the attention of your bartender."

Several new island elements sport water features:

• Pelican Plunge will be two corkscrew slides floating on a deck in the lagoon, just a short swim away. "The beauty of Pelican Plunge is that it's for all ages: 6, 16 or 60," Balli says.

• Disney storytelling will be evident with the Spring-a-Leak area, an all-ages play area designed to look like an island structure blown away by a "strong island breeze." ("Hurricane" might be too strong a word.) Amid all the fountains and water jets will be the leaning remains.

• A 200-square-foot wet deck with geysers — shaped like a captain's wheel — will be added to Scuttle's Cove, the area for children's activities.

About 10 percent of the island has been developed.

"I think we've taken full advantage of the island where we think it makes sense," Holz say. "This is our intent, to be very responsible in terms of developing the island and making sure we do that in an environmentally friendly manner."

"You want to preserve the local fauna and flora, it's an important thing."

Dewayne Bevil can be reached at 407-420-5477 or dbevil@orlandosentinel.com.

See for yourself
See our picture gallery of Disney's plans for Castaway Cay — as well as shots of the island over the years — at OrlandoSentinel.com/attractions.

Source: Orlando Sentinel; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/destinations/cruises/orl-livdisney-castaway-travel083009aug30,0,6854765.story

CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice and I am glad to see them investing but...

Whatever happened to the whole idea of "a place where daddy and the girls could do things together..."? Most of this IS for families but I hear more and more about adults only areas. Overall I like where Igor is leading the company but he still seems not to get the "AFFORDABLE FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT" bit...
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that family bit has been an issue for several years. all the thrill rides pull in the money, but they are not really family friendly with half the family too young or old to ride.

That was the great feature of Jungle Cruise, POTC, HM, and some of the other earlier attractions.
allisonwonderland
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of late, Disney has been really pushing to do things for more adult fans. D23 Expo, Marvel Comics, etc. I think they have the family entertainment thing down pat. It's nice to see them expanding into things for a larger market.

In addition, it seems that there are plenty of Disneyphiles who don't have kids, but still love the magic that the company brings into their lives.

With regards to the cruise line, I went for my honeymoon. I had never been on a cruise, and although I didn't mind children being there in the slightest, it was really nice to a have areas of the ship and the beach on Castaway Cay that were quiet, restful and kid free. I felt that the cruise was the ultimate vacation for adults, as there are so many things for the kids to do there. Every age group had their own club and kids really took to exploring the ship with the "councilors."

The parks offer great family entertainment, food venues and experiences that everyone can enjoy together. In contrast, I think that the cruise was designed to be a getaway for a different audience. And audience that wanted family entertainment on a different plane.

If you think about it, there are a lot of projects Disney is working on that have nothing to do with a theme park. Like the Hotel in Hawaii. Those people didn't grow up with Disneyland 20 minutes from their home, and some of the people who stay in the hotel may not even have been to a Disney Park, so the entertainment and other offerings will have to be catered to those needs and expectations. Same great service, slightly different package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Cruise Line All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: