Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney drops controversial dish from menus

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney drops controversial dish from menus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Disney drops controversial dish from menus Reply with quote

Disney's menu change is good for the goose, not the gourmet
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
October 11, 2008

Maybe Donald Duck squawked about the dish.

In a move that thrilled animal-rights activists but disappointed some gourmet diners, Walt Disney World has quietly dropped a controversial delicacy from its menus.

Au revoir, foie gras.

On Oct. 1, Disney dumped the traditional French appetizer, made of fattened duck or goose liver, at the last four Disney World restaurants to offer it -- Victoria & Albert's, California Grill, Citricos and Les Chefs de France.

Disney insisted Friday that this was no political statement. Officials wouldn't even comment on the international animal-rights campaign that calls foie gras production cruel and inhumane and seeks to persuade restaurants to drop the dish.

"It's really just about making adjustments to the menu," Disney World spokeswoman Andrea Finger said.

Nonetheless, activists consider the Disney decision a victory. Bryan Pease, co-founder of the anti-foie gras Animal Protection and Rescue League, called Disney's choice "huge," regardless of the company's official motives. According to his organization, farmers produce foie gras by forcing a metal pipe down the throat of a duck or goose and force-feeding it massive amounts of grain until its liver swells to 10 times the normal size.

"I think if they [Disney officials] make a policy decision to ban the product from all their menus, there must have to be a social reason for that," Pease said. "It wouldn't be because people don't like it anymore."

Actually, people who like foie gras like it a lot. John Bergan, an insurance consultant from New Jersey who's planning a Disney vacation for next month, considers it a rare treat. His Disney plans include dining at Victoria & Albert's, and he was looking forward to the foie gras. So he's angry and said the next time he schedules a Disney vacation, he'll be sure to book a special night out at an Orlando restaurant that, in his view, doesn't compromise its menu.

"What I have a problem with is any restaurant giving in to a special-interest group to the detriment of their customers," Bergan said.

Disney's decision might not be political, but it's clearly strategic, said Kevin Yee, author of the unofficial guide The Walt Disney World Menu Book. He equated it with the giant resort's recent decisions to eliminate trans fats from its fried foods and to replace french fries with apple slices on children's menus.

"It's kind of inching the resort toward socially responsible food," Yee said.

Source: Orlando Sentinel; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-disney1108oct11,0,7039885.story

I think Disney dropped it because of the high fat content and probably as a cost cutting measure also.... Anyone out there actually ever tried it before (whether at Disney or elsewere)?
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think it has to do with the duck i have a reason for saying when Epcot first opened the garden grille offered something very unique and tasty i might add duck sausage pizza with goats cheese holy cow do i miss it. My then girl friend and went there for lunch and i saw it and ordered it wow how good it was too man i wish i knew where they still serve it it was ahead of it's time and was it good did i mention how good it was

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are the folks protesting the serving of the liver, or protesting the way in which the animals are treated to produce the liver?

Those are two totally different issues. Does Disney offer non-force feed duck in any of its other recipes?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is with the duck liver, the foie gras. Foie gras is "produced" by over/force feeding ducks to specifically enlarge their liver, then the liver is "harvested". Foie gras has come under a lot of heat and protests over the last few years.... California outlawed the production and sale of the dish within state boarders.

The issue is not with duck itself, just the foie gras... But I think finances might be more of a reason then protesters.... I haven't heard any "bad press" or pressure being put upon Disney specifically for offering the dish.... Foie gras is pretty expensive, so that is why I think it more financial...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another high end food product has been dropped from the WDW menus, this time it is Prime Rib. Prime Rib has been removed from the AYCE buffets and replaced with strip loins.

Of course the company line is that the removal is not because of the economy, but it probably really is.

For more info: http://scottjosephorlando.typepad.com/food_drink_other_stuff/2008/12/disney-guests-ask-wheres-the-beef-prime-rib-missing-from-buffets.html
ericpabear
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a carnivore. Every step in the process of providing meat to my plate is barbaric. So I am hoping Disney stopped serving the Foie gras because of the cost. If not the cost, and it is the treatment of the animals, then what is next ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: