Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - David Koenig comes to chat on 12/17/07

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

David Koenig comes to chat on 12/17/07
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> For Your Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: David Koenig comes to chat on 12/17/07 Reply with quote

Hi everyone as a special treat David Koenig will be chating with us on Monday 12/17/07. He is the Author of "Mousetales" and his new book "Realityland". We will be discussing "Mousetales" in January as a kick-off to the monthly Book chat. I know this is a busy season but please set a little time aside on Monday night to come chat with our special guest.

Chat begins at 8:00 pm EST
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! Love the David Koenig books.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eatmon74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi evryone,

David Koenig will be in the chat room at 8:00 pm on Monday 12?17/07

PLEASE come out. Show David how awesome our members are. I am working out how we will run the Q&A so watch this post for info. Oh and please respond to this post so I can get an idea as to how many plan on attending.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not promise, but I'm gonna try hard to attend. I think it is great you were able to get him.

I've Emailed him in the past and he seems like a knowledgeable, well spoken person.

This is a great way to showcase the wonderful people we have on this site and a great way to kick off the Book Chats. David has a large readership on the sites he posts on.

Hey Admins... If Eatmon can pull this off, I think he deserves some extra recognition...

If you can't find anything better, I'm willing to donate 100 of my flier miles to him as a thank you... You can take em from me and give them to him.
eatmon74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I by no means did this by myself and do not want anything more then to have lots of people show up.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I might stop by.... if I have time.... Wink
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll post the transcript of the chat for everyone to read after the event. So that way, if you have a question or two, but can't attend, you can send the question to Jason and see what the response was.

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, Jason I'd be curious as to the following: (in case I don't make it...)

In his book Mouse Tales he talks about how things have slowly changed over the years from fun and frivolity, to stricter and stricter control, and how the mouse has turned from customer focused to bottom-line, penny-pinching focused. Does he see any signs that things might be swinging back or that the attention to detail and maintenance might be improving?

Of all of the areas of the park, which does he feel has changed the least over the years from the perspective of "quality product" & Feel to the guest, and what would he attribute as the cause of its retaining that feel. From there, I'd be curious of the which has changed the most and what he sees as the cause? attached to that... Is the lack of change or change actually seen as a good or bad thing.

He just published Realityland, does he have anything in the works regarding the later parks in Florida or DCA or the potential third gate?

Obviously the park has changed over the years. it has to grow and mature. Does he feel the growth is appropriate for todays guests. Are there items that have changed that have proven to have worked better before the change?

What other Disney books would he recommend to folks that might cover the following topics: (Besides More Mousetales, & RealityLand)

- Walt Disney
- the parks culture over the years
- his choice of good book...

In Mousetales and More MouseTales he alludes to Mousetales as having an potential improvement on the park attendance. Did he run the stats to see if the same held true after More Mousetales, and is he going to try and see if RealityLand has a similar impact.

As someone familiar with both coast parks, what would he say to an East Coaster to convince them it is worth going to the West Coast, and what would he tell anyone on the West Coast to convince them to come East?

Anything around the topic of DCL.

What does he enjoy most about having had the opportunity to publish Mousetales?
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring any emergencies, I'll be there for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eatmon74

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone we will be running chat a little differently as not to overwhelm our guest with questions. So here is what we have come up with:

Doring chat if you click on my name you'll bring up a private chat screen ask me the question and I will cut and paste it in order.

If you would prefer PM me or Post your question, in this post, and I will put it into a roation with the other questions.

Please post any concerns or questions about this here.

I look forward to having a big turn out.
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! I will DEFINATELY be there. He actually came and spoke at an NFFC meeting very close to me but I couldn't make it due to a previous engagement. Sad
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Sounds like you have this well thought out.
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few:

1. Does he foresee the current management restoring any of the pre-Eisner decisions for money over show (themed shopping throughout the park, no Disney characters in Epcot, etc.). Sorry, WDWFan, I probably should’ve read your post before writing these J

2. I love how all of the areas of the park play themed music – you can hear old Victorian tunes from Main Street, old Western music in Frontierland, jungle drums in Adventureland, etc. I rarely hear this mentioned in any books, which seems like a glaring omission given that they detail very minute details, such as the colors of the pavement. Was this something that has always been, since the opening of Disneyland, or has it been something that has evolved over time?

3. Any idea why the WDW Jungle Cruise dialog is nowhere near as fun as the DL version? Is it toned down because of the amount of non-American visitors in WDW? More talented people in DL b/c of Hollywood and aspiring actors? I laugh so hard at the DL version almost every time, but I’ll ride the WDW version 4 times a trip or so, and hardly ever have a good skipper.

4. What rides that have been altered have you perceived as an improvement? For instance, the Jack Sparrow additions to POTC. If you disagree with these changes, do you feel that they should ever update these classic rides?

5. I’m a little unfamiliar with the Western River Expedition plans. In addition to those, would you be able to give us a few rides/concepts that were left on the drawing board?

6. Could you briefly tell the story of Ron Miller? I’m fascinated with “where are they now” type stories. Did Ron CEO anywhere else after he was pushed out? Retired? I’d also love to get the Disney family opinion of the parks. Are they disgusted with Eisner’s chasing of the dollar? Or, are they Disneyed-out and don’t really care about the parks like the UAB members do? Are there any Disney family members besides Roy E left on the board/in control of the company?

7. In the Mouse Tales series, you talk a lot about the cast members, but in Realityland, it’s mostly all about the behind-the-scenes business in building the parks. While both are totally fascinating, I especially like the stories about hijinks by the cast members (especially the Jungle Cruise stores). Can we expect a book about this from WDW? Any more books in the future?

8. In Realityland, you had a ton of interesting little anecdotes about Nunis and Walker. In your travels, have you heard anything interesting about Eisner/Ovitz?

9. In my interview at Disney Imagineering, someone referred to Disneyland as a “testing ground”, a place where they initially place rides to sort of test them out before moving them to WDW. Is this accurate? Could you compare/contrast management’s thoughts on the two parks in terms of updates?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason, will all (or most) of the questions posted be asked? Just curious if someone can post a question, but may not be able to attend the session itself, will that question still be asked (they can read the response in the transcripts)?
eatmon74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to ask as many from aa many people as possible. So If you asked Multiply questions in the post I wil try to roatate between all the questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> For Your Information All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: