Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Buying Lucasarts...

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Buying Lucasarts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Disney Buying Lucasarts... Reply with quote

The new just broke, Disney is buying Lucasarts and have already announced Star Wars Ep 7 for 2015 release!

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

HOLY COW! I need a few mins to process this........
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Disney Buying Lucasarts... Reply with quote

daguru wrote:

I saw your post on Facebook and followed the link not because I didn't trust you but because I couldn't believe it either. Disney is now owners of three of the four thongs I really Geek out over. They just need to talk to BBC and get Dr. Who and I will not have to give my money to anyone else.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, I agree.... if they bought Blizzard Games from Activision, the majority of my world would be owned by Disney...

I can see the plusses and the minuses of this deal...

Plus:
*Putting life back into the franchise; real life, not just a single cartoon that only die-hards appear to be watching
*More rides/attractions at the theme parks
*Possibly motivation to get the TV show up and running, possibly more cartoons/shows

Cons:
*Increase the already WAY TOO MUCH cross overs (very tired of Disney characters dressed up as SW characters)
*Possible lost of smaller independent merchandise such as ThinkGeek and Her Universe (conference call yesterday mentioned dropping small retailers and merchandise licenses)
*Major loss possibly on the comic book side (dropping Dark Horse and moving to Marvel)
*Watering down/dumbing down the SW universe

I think alot of it will depend on Ep 7 (Ep 8 & Ep 9 were also mentioned).... they need to put EVERYTHING into it. If it can come across like the first pirates, then I think they will have smooths sailing with this property... If it comes across like Haunted Mansion or the prequels, then I think they are going to lose the current and older generations of fans.

But they said they are planning on using the Marvel roadmap, so here's to hoping that this goes just as good and everything works out....
eatmon74

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
JBut they said they are planning on using the Marvel roadmap, so here's to hoping that this goes just as good and everything works out....

I agree if they use the Marvel road map, which is really the Pixar map, we are in for a treat. Just imagine what Joss Wheedon could do on an Episode 8. Which should be the darker movie.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already rumors of Brad Bird being attached to the project, which apparently will be an original story... So Star Wars fans, prepare for the EU to become an alternate reality (not that Georgie and the Clone Wars followed the EU anyways)....

Also not sure what this is going to do with Detours, the project by the guys behind Robot Chicken... not sure if Disney is going to keep this project or not...

Also, rumors are abound that Disney is going to move the comics to Marvel, when the Dark Horse contract is up.... Right now, things don't look too good..
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is great! Now I hope my Disney hold out friends will come over to 'the dark side' since we now have ALL of Star Wars!!

: )
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also means that our games section could expand greatly... think of all the obscure SW and Marvel references and questions?! Smile
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
This also means that our games section could expand greatly…think of all the obscure SW and Marvel references and questions?! Smile

Poor ocmsma!!!

: )
ocmsma
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Means you all will need to help me out a little and educate me on all of this trivia and obscure facts - lol Smile
UncleDick
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Disney Buying Lucasarts... Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
The new just broke, Disney is buying Lucasarts and have already announced Star Wars Ep 7 for 2015 release!

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

The Muppets, Pixar, and now Lucasfilm. I suppose you could say that Eisner opened the door for all three of these acquisitions by negotiating the original deals with these companies back in the 80s and 90s, but I have to believe that Bob Iger is feeling just a little smug about one-upping his predecesor by purchasing them outright.

Not only does Disney now own the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises, they also own the rest of the Lucasfilm library including classic films like THX-1138, American Graffiti and Tucker. Not to mention the Lucasarts electronic gaming division and the world-class production facilities of Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound. Quite a coup for Disney, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: