Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Death of the Disney Empire?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Death of the Disney Empire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickeydamouse
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Death of the Disney Empire? Reply with quote

I was going through some old forum comments and I ran accross the section about the death of Roy Disney. Crying or Very sad

Somebody made a comment about wondering if Disney will stay Disney since Roy was the last to make any impact on how things should be done.

Look at what has happened since his death...

-Closing artist studios
-Majority of Disney Stores at malls are disappearing (again)
-Bought rights to comic book characters (comics, come on?)
-and probably many more I don't know about?

Anybody see any problems in the future...or am I worrying too much? Confused
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things will come and go. Even the Mickey I grew up with has changed, and that one was different from the original. As long as there is a Mouse, I won't worry.

And look at all the good stuff that has come about. Pirates, Epcot, new resorts......add your own list.
Mickeydamouse
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess many things have changed but much has stayed the same too.

Suppose I was just worried about the money hungry board doing something drastic...for some it's about greed and for others it's about the Mouse.

I just couldn't imagine going the rest of my life with the thought that Disney would disappear. I have not dilusions about thinking that Disney will be around for eternity, nothing ever lasts forever, but it would be nice to see it around for another 50 years or more.

Guess I need to stop worrying about tomorrow and live for today... Smile
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty Disney died with Micheal Eisner for people who know their Disney history what Walt designed Micheal destroyed. And because Micheal made the Corporate giant he made it ever so more greedy, I can remember a time where it cost 15 bucks to go to Epcot. I understand costs go up but 76 bucks to walk in 12 for parking are they crazy in this day and age who can afford these prices WDW and DL where there for the kids and parents to play together not go broke. Besides in FL WDW is totally self contained they generate their own power clear their own waste and treat their own water they are a city into themselves. So to cry about costs what they are really crying about is pensions and salaries for the upper management.

Ok so like i said thats when the empire died. Redbaron now gets off the soap box and enjoys the music on UAB

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
jbohn
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certainly sympathetic to redbaron's point of view, but to put it in a more blunt, cynical form, as long as there is money to be made, there will be a Disney Empire.

That being said quality, standards, and content are subject to change.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you but the Disney ideal wasn't money first it was family first. He was building an empire without being greedy. Exclamation Which had he been alive to see the "Florida Project" through then we'd have a different everything in Orlando,it would be different. WDW killed the Central Fla area. If Walt had been around he never would have let it get that way. I did a bio of Walt when i was a kid, very interesting man. He was a big kid at heart.
A man of high ideals who didn't compromise to make a fast buck. Sympathetic or not jbohn the corporate giant which is Disney wouldn't be today what it is without the greed of board and officers. Walt I bet still turns over in his grave to this day to see what has happened to his labor of love.
I don't need to remind you about all the changes to the American psyche that Walt has made. Not to mention the way we live, the "theme park" is only one in a long line of things we can thank Walt for. Until Disneyland, we went to amusement parks, Walt was responsible for the theme park where families could play together. Universal Studios, Sea World, Busch Gardens and so on wouldn't exist without it. Over the years I've heard all the complaints about the boring rides at WDW I kindly remind the people that this is a theme park not amusement park or even a thrill park.
Please excuse my ranting and raving on this subject it's close to my heart for many reasons, so I apologize in advance if i step on anyone feelings. Again Redbaron steps off his soap box and joins the crowd for a response, he does love debating.

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
swarlock
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickeydamouse wrote:

I just couldn't imagine going the rest of my life with the thought that Disney would disappear. I have not dilusions about thinking that Disney will be around for eternity, nothing ever lasts forever, but it would be nice to see it around for another 50 years or more.

Guess I need to stop worrying about tomorrow and live for today... Smile

That's how I've started to look at things. I'll readily say that no company is perfect. But I'll support their right to do good where it counts.
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Lassiter.

He will fix all.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
John Lassiter.

He will fix all.

I'd say he's off to a pretty bad start. Pixar is mired in a bog of sequels (and projects are floundering as a result of directorial upheaval), and Disney Animation can't seem to launch a single project with mass appeal, at least nothing as universally loved as what was created as recently as the Eisner days.

I had high hopes for Lasseter's tenure as head of Disney Animation, but he has yet to impress. Toy Story 3 was amazing, but the wheels for that one started turning before he was hired.

The only project on the horizon from either Pixar or Disney Animation that I'm excited about is John Carter of Mars, and that's not scheduled for release until 2012.

I gotta say, aside from that John Carter film, and while I'm intrigued by Monster's Inc. 2, I'm more interested in Spielberg's upcoming Tintin film than I am for anything else Disney is producing in the next two years.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbohn wrote:
I am certainly sympathetic to redbaron's point of view, but to put it in a more blunt, cynical form, as long as there is money to be made, there will be a Disney Empire.

That being said quality, standards, and content are subject to change.

Yep, and Disney isn't the first nor the last company to be doing what they are doing. Even the famed cartoons they did in the 90's are pretty different from what they did in the 50's since the audience tastes have changed and there was more money to be made by focusing in on younger kids and then marketing the movies for all it's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: