Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Tokyo Disneyland Cancels all parades

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Tokyo Disneyland Cancels all parades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Tokyo Disneyland Cancels all parades Reply with quote

From the Associate Press

Quote:
Tokyo Disneyland Cancels Parades

By HIROKO TABUCHI – 4 hours ago

TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo Disneyland canceled its popular parades for the first time in its 25-year history Wednesday after a 660-pound steel pillar adorned with colorful planets tumbled from a Buzz Lightyear float.

The pillar on the float, part of its popular Disney Dreams On Parade, crashed to the ground Tuesday afternoon — just yards away from children lined up to watch the twice-daily extravaganza at the theme park.

There were screams but no injuries among visitors and the characters on the float, including Buzz, the hero from the 1995 Disney movie "Toy Story," according to the park's operator, Oriental Land Co.

But Disneyland is canceling its two daily parades while it carries out safety checks, the first time both events have been canceled since the park opened in 1983, according to Oriental Land spokesman Tsutomu Kato.

"We'd like to apologize for causing panic," Kato said.

The accident came after visitors were evacuated after a small fire broke out on the roof of the Swiss Family Tree House attraction at Disneyland last week. Nobody was injured, and firefighters extinguished the flames an hour later.

The park is investigating both accidents but doesn't yet know what caused them, according to Kato.

Disneyland, the first Disney park to be built outside of the United States, is one of two hugely popular theme parks Oriental Land operates just outside of Tokyo.

In 2007, 25.4 million people flocked to Disneyland and its sister attraction, Disneysea, both just outside the Japanese capital.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j1fNhLD3pHZ6efqab7uaJLPhv1SwD8U2A9581

Musta been an interesting day at the park... Smile
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's interesting is that the maintanence and upkeep at the Tokyo parks are supposed to be the best of all of the Disney theme parks.

But stuff happens I guess...
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my belief that duct tape fixes everything.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:
I still stand by my belief that duct tape fixes everything.

And these days it comes in all sorts of colors too! A must for any toolkit.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows...accidents happen even when PM is good. Glad no one was hurt. Why is a float carrying a 660 pound pole anyway, what about plastic or styrafoam? Also, isnt Tokyo in Meters?

Sounds suspicious to me...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the primary support for a planet mobile... so it needed to be heavy and strong...

But I have read that the parades were started back up approx 3-4 days after this incident... no worries any more...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: