Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Iger and Lasseter

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Iger and Lasseter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Iger and Lasseter Reply with quote

Its been a while now since Iger took over and Lasseters been doing his thing.

What do folks think, have they been good for the company and the guests? Are things moving in what you think are good directions? What changes do you think they should be concentrating on that have gone un-addressed?
UncleDick
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Iger and Lasseter Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Its been a while now since Iger took over and Lasseters been doing his thing.

What do folks think, have they been good for the company and the guests? Are things moving in what you think are good directions? What changes do you think they should be concentrating on that have gone un-addressed?

After watching Planes last week (which featured a prominent Executive Producer credit for Lasseter), I have to question whether the new Pixar-directed regime at Disney Animation is any better than the creatively bankrupt bureaucracy it replaced. Planes was bad. As bad as Return to Never Land or any of the "dreck-to-video" films produced by DisneyToon Studios in the 90s and 00s.

Iger's biggest accomplishment so far is the absorption of media franchises invented a long time ago, in an atmosphere far, far away from the Mouse House (Muppets, Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm). So far, his acquisitiveness has been a boon to shareholder's equity, but it remains to be seen if Disney has the creative momentum to sustain long-term growth once existing IP has been milked dry.

I think fans are waking up to the fact that the Pixar buyout didn't herald a new renaissance in creative direction at Disney, and it's back to business as usual.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't think PLANES was "bad", it certainly wasn't up to par with other Pixar films. It was an old story, retold with new characters.

I think Disney was at it's best when it was "cutting edge" with things. To venture out and try something that hadn't been done before was where Disney would excel, but for the sake of the shareholders, they try and play it safe to make the investors happy, not the general public.

You are right UncleDick, they are no longer "creative"; they're relying on names and characters to carry them. When people get tired of that, what will Iger and Lasseter do? At that point, people may be tired of Disney as a whole and that COULD be the demise of Disney...again.

CountryBearFan
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
While I don't think PLANES was "bad", it certainly wasn't up to par with other Pixar films. It was an old story, retold with new characters.

I think Disney was at it's best when it was "cutting edge" with things. To venture out and try something that hadn't been done before was where Disney would excel, but for the sake of the shareholders, they try and play it safe to make the investors happy, not the general public.

You are right UncleDick, they are no longer "creative"; they're relying on names and characters to carry them. When people get tired of that, what will Iger and Lasseter do? At that point, people may be tired of Disney as a whole and that COULD be the demise of Disney...again.

I strongly disagree with your overly-negative and uninformed post ignoring the good things of the last few years. Iger and Lassetter have both put Disney back on track and Disney is still creative today, still cutting edge, still innovating and taking risks and doing MUCH better now than they did in the second half of the evil Eisner regime.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble opinion?

I think they seem afraid to take any real chances. Their direction on ABC seems mixed, a collection of PC shows with the same plotlines (excepting Once Upon a Time which I have not started watching but seems very well written even if they seem stuck in Frozenland currently. And the Disney Channel seems to be stuck showing the same old type of shows over and over.

I also think that Bob Iger inherited the 'forget Walt, get as much from the guests as you can" mentality. They need to stop raising prices for everything and remember that many families can not afford so much.

Other than Marvel, they also seem very slow to actually do anything with these new franchises or to take chances on new creative ideas. I would rather see them return the Beastly Kingdom back to AK then have Avatarland even if it was a good movie. Everything their imagineers tell us was planned for that section of tha park make it sound far more interesting then one section built around a movie. The Fantasyland expansion is nice creative thinking. I wish we could see more of that for AK.

I think they are much better then what the company had with Eisner at the end there. But they have not set records for creatinve thinking and risk taking from what I can see. Then again, perhaps if I had Disney stock, I would feel otherwise.
CountryBearFan
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTKnight3 wrote:
My humble opinion?

I think they seem afraid to take any real chances. Their direction on ABC seems mixed, a collection of PC shows with the same plotlines (excepting Once Upon a Time which I have not started watching but seems very well written even if they seem stuck in Frozenland currently. And the Disney Channel seems to be stuck showing the same old type of shows over and over.

I also think that Bob Iger inherited the 'forget Walt, get as much from the guests as you can" mentality. They need to stop raising prices for everything and remember that many families can not afford so much.

Other than Marvel, they also seem very slow to actually do anything with these new franchises or to take chances on new creative ideas. I would rather see them return the Beastly Kingdom back to AK then have Avatarland even if it was a good movie. Everything their imagineers tell us was planned for that section of tha park make it sound far more interesting then one section built around a movie. The Fantasyland expansion is nice creative thinking. I wish we could see more of that for AK.

I think they are much better then what the company had with Eisner at the end there. But they have not set records for creatinve thinking and risk taking from what I can see. Then again, perhaps if I had Disney stock, I would feel otherwise.

I very strongly disagree with such overly-negative, uninformed, overly-pessimistic, glass half empty views.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: